BOSTON (AP) – Prosecutors say two officers were protecting themselves and others when they fatally shot a Boston man last month.
Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said Friday prosecutors met with 38-year-old Ross Batista’s family to explain their findings.READ MORE: Omicron COVID Variant Detected In Massachusetts Woman
The family has questioned the use of deadly force.
Conley said Batista was in the passenger seat of a car when he exchanged shots with a man on the sidewalk at about 1 a.m. June 2. Officers heard the shots, ran to the scene.
Police said Batista refused to get out of the car, and an officer shot him when he jumped into the back seat and reached for a gun.READ MORE: Wind Gusts Across Eastern Mass. Projected To Be 50 MPH Or Higher On Monday Night
Conley said Batista then got out and fired at two retreating officers before another officer shot him.
Conley said investigators found a second loaded handgun in the front passenger area.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.MORE NEWS: Martin Richard Foundation Holds 4th Annual MR8K Race In Boston On Saturday
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]