BOSTON (CBS) — Clay Buchholz will continue his road back to the majors with one more rehab start for the Pawtucket Red Sox on Thursday.
Buchholz made his first start for the PawSox on Saturday, striking out five while allowing three earned runs in 4.2 innings. He did not issue any walks, but two of the four hits Buchholz surrendered ended up leaving the yard.
The Sox righty, who has been on the disabled list since May 28 with a hyperextended knee, threw 62 pitches in his first outing, 42 of which were strikes. Red Sox manager John Farrell said Monday evening that the plan is for Buchholz to work his way up to roughly 90 pitches his next time out, with the hopes he can return to the majors next week.
“Clay went out and was able to accomplish, for the most part, some of the delivery adjustments he’s been working on,” said Farrell. “Overall strikes were improved. We recognize what took place in the line score inside that, but a higher percentage of strikes, better power overall, more defined shape to the individual types of pitches. We need to get him up to 90 pitches or so this next outing.”
Tale of the Tape: Workman, De La Rosa Dealing On The Mound
Buchholz is 2-4 with a 7.02 ERA in 10 big league starts this season.
Farrell said that Felix Doubront, who struck out 10 over five innings of scoreless ball for the PawSox on Sunday, is the likely candidate to take Brandon Workman’s upcoming spot in the rotation. Workman is awaiting word from Major League Baseball about his appeal of a six-game suspension for throwing at Tampa Bay’s Evan Longoria earlier this month.
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”sports” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]