HAMDEN, Conn. (AP) — Fearful that her family would learn she was not graduating, a 22-year-old woman phoned in bomb threats to Quinnipiac University on Sunday to try and force commencement ceremonies to be canceled, police said.
Hamden police said Danielle Shea of Quincy, Mass., gave a detailed confession after being arrested at the indoor campus athletic arena, the TD Bank Sports Center, where the commencement for the university’s College of Arts and Sciences had been moved because of the threats. She was wearing a cap and gown she’d purchased.READ MORE: 86-Year-Old Woman Hit, Killed By Car On Malden Sidewalk
Police said Shea didn’t attend the university this year, but her mother paid thousands of dollars she thought was for her daughter’s education. When graduation arrived, Shea panicked when relatives didn’t see her name on the graduation roster, they said.
According to police, Shea made two calls to the university’s public safety department.
In the first, about 20 minutes before the start of the 6 p.m. graduation ceremony, she stated there was a “bomb in the library,” said police.
In the second call, about 20 minutes later, police said Shea warned “Several bombs are on campus” and noted “You haven’t cleared out graduation. That’s not a good idea.”
Hamden and university police identified Shea using the telephone number she’d called from and then found her at the arena.READ MORE: Offshore Wind Project Off Martha's Vineyard Nears Approval
She has been charged with first degree threatening and falsely reporting an incident. She is being held on $20,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court in Meriden on May 30.
University spokesman John Morgan said 388 students were part of the commencement ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences. It was delayed 90 minutes due to the threats.
Two earlier ceremonies were held at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]MORE NEWS: Parents Devastated By Crash That Killed 17-Year-Old Natick Boy