BOSTON (CBS) – The head of a gay rights group that had their invitation to march in the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day parade revoked said she was “surprised by the abrupt and hostile tone” of the rejection.

The South Boston Allied War Veterans Council took back its invitation to the LGBT Veterans of Equality Tuesday, saying in a statement that it had been “misled” by the group, which is an affiliate of MassEquality.

READ MORE: Popular New Hampshire Ice Castles Expanding For Ninth Season

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker reports

Kara Coredini, Executive Director of MassEquality, said they are “extremely disappointed” by the organizer’s decision.

“We were under the impression that negotiations were positive and ongoing, and we were surprised by the abrupt and hostile tone of the Parade organizers’ rejection,” Cordenini told WBZ-TV in a statement Wednesday.

READ MORE: Mother Of Missing Boy Elijah Lewis, Boyfriend Plead Not Guilty To Charges In Case In New Hampshire Court

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has threatened to boycott the parade if the LGBT group wasn’t allowed to march.

Walsh, who helped broker the initial deal between the groups, says he remains optimistic, even as the efforts appeared to be falling apart.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

MORE NEWS: Wellesley High School Parents Want Tougher Punishment For Students Involved In Brutal Attack On Teen

[display-posts category=”local” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”4?”]