BOSTON (CBS) – Get a jump-start on this year’s taxes. Set up a filing system. I like a folder system where I label folders; contributions, real estate taxes, estimated taxes, medical expenses, etc. You could use an envelope system as well.

READ MORE: Patriots Power Rankings Update: Super Bowl Dreams Vs. Tom Brady Starting To Percolate

A good filing system will make finding the tax information next year easier. You do need to have all of the relevant material to back up any deductions you want to take.

Normally, tax records should be kept for three years from your filing date, which is the period that the IRS has to audit your return, but many experts will tell you to keep them 6-7 years.

Documents relating to the purchase and basis of your home, stock transactions, business or rental property should be kept in separate files until you sell the asset and then the information is filed with your tax return.

IRAs and pension information should be kept forever or until you have spent all of the money!

If you pay estimated taxes mark your calendar with the due dates. Consider using a personal finance software package such as Quicken for your checking account. You can easily print out reports at the end of the year for your taxes. I love Quicken!

Did you miss out on any of the tax credits or deductions last year because you made too much money? Review your retirement planning.

READ MORE: Sunshine Tracker: Sunsets Will Start Getting Later After Wednesday

Increasing your contribution to your retirement plan can lower your taxable income, which may put you in a lower tax bracket. With a little bit of planning on your part you might be eligible for the tax credits this year and the bonus would be a larger retirement pot!

Are you planning to get married this year? Are you going to change your name? Make sure the Social Security Administration and the IRS both know your new name and where you are living.

Same advice if you are getting divorced and changing your name.

One more thing:  The IRS uses the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but you may want to notify the IRS directly. And be sure to notify your employer of your new address and name as well.


You can hear Dee Lee’s expert financial advice on WBZ NewsRadio 1030 each weekday at 1:55 p.m., 3:55 p.m., and 7:55 p.m.

MORE NEWS: Man Charged With 7th OUI Offense After Police K-9 Chase Through Oxford Woods

Subscribe to Dee’s Money Matters newsletter here.