By Bobby Sisk, WBZ-TV

QUINCY (CBS) — A 27-year veteran of the Quincy Police Department is on paid administrative leave after he was arrested over the weekend for allegedly assaulting his pregnant wife.

Captain Michael Miller, 49, turned himself in to Plymouth Police on Saturday afternoon, and appeared in District Court Monday.

“This is a matter that is on for arraignment your honor. I just had the chance to look at the police report,” Miller’s attorney, Jack McGlone said in court.

A motion to dismiss was denied, but the judge did give McGlone another week to research the accusations against his client.

“It is basically being blown out of proportion in this situation because it is a domestic case. Because he is the captain of the police they are treating it a little different from the others. There is not enough probable cause there,” McGlone said outside court.

Miller is charged with one count of aggravated assault and battery.

It started, McGlone said, when his client went to pick up his 5- year-old daughter for a scheduled visit.

The Miller and his wife are in the process of divorcing.

The police report stated the couple argued over finances and who would take Mrs. Miller’s cats, when she slammed the door. But what happened next, is up for debate.

“She slams the door and there’s an argument back and forth and he waited outside. She says he opened the door and hit her stomach,” McGlone said. “He blatantly denies it. He didn’t touch the door at all and didn’t open it and then she got upset.”

Miller’s estranged wife, who is 38 weeks pregnant, went to the hospital to get checked out and at first said she didn’t want a restraining order against him.

She later got one at the Plymouth Police Department. Captain Miller was served Friday night.

When asked by police if her husband intentionally tried to hurt her or assault her, the police report shows her response was “no.”

WBZ tried to talk to Mrs. Miller Monday, but no one answered at the Plymouth address.

McGlone says his client’s name will be cleared.

“Is he devastated? Yes. Has he taken a turn for the worse? Yes because at this point he is on administrative leave. He is going to fight this tooth and nail,” he said.

Miller is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the court case.

Quincy Police confirm his gun license has been temporarily suspended.

He’ll be back in Plymouth District Court Monday, July 15th.