SWANSEA (CBS) – A family of four is in the hospital after a carbon monoxide scare in their Swansea home.

A mother, father, and two children are being treated at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence after being exposed to extremely high CO levels.

READ MORE: Patrick Rose Report: Faster Boston Police Internal Investigations, More Transparency Recommended

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe Reports

The father called 9-1-1, reporting he and his family were all suffering from flu-like symptoms.

READ MORE: Janey Calls For Masks In Boston Schools This Fall, No Vaccine Mandate For City Workers Yet

“They put the four people in the ambulance, they took readings of their blood levels, and their was high levels in their blood,” Fire Chief Peter Burke said. “Firefighters went in with the meters, and they found 500 parts per million.”

Burke added that the family didn’t know they were being exposed to high CO levels because their carbon monoxide detector was giving a false reading due to its age.

“It wasn’t operating properly and we feel it was because of the age of the CO detector – it was 12 years old,” Burke said. “Most manufacturers recommend replacing at 7 years.”

MORE NEWS: 'I Thought It Was A Scam': Darrell Washington Of Weymouth, Daniela Maldonado Of Chelsea Named First VaxMillions Winners

The leak was attributed to a malfunctioning boiler in the home.