BOSTON (CBS) – A dog from Roslindale underwent emergency surgery last month after she swallowed an entire wedge of brie and a three-inch cheese knife.

Owner Sean Burte said he put the brie and knife onto a coffee table in his home and walked away for just a moment back on Jan. 25 when Bean, a 118-pound female Bull Mastiff, jumped onto the table and swallowed both things whole.

Burte then rushed his dog to Angell Animal Medical Center, where veterinarians confirmed the dog had the knife in her stomach. Fortunately, Bean swallowed the knife handle-first, so she suffered no cuts to her throat or stomach.

“Bean is a very lucky dog because her size, and the position the knife was in when she swallowed it, minimized further damage to her throat and stomach. She did very well throughout the surgery and we’re glad to see her recuperating at home,” said Dr. Mike Pavletic, head of Angell’s surgery department.

Bean the dog. (Photo Credit: MSPCA-Angell)

Bean is continuing her recovery back at home in Roslindale.

“It’s obviously a very scary moment when you realize that your dog has consumed a knife. I’m very thankful that the 24-7 emergency clinic at Angell was available when we needed it most. Bean is a beloved member of our family and we’re just so glad to have her back home,” said Burte.

Comments (8)
  1. Jill says:

    The clinic at Angell Animal Medical Center has saved my dog not once, but twice! They are true artists in their profession– I highly recommend visiting them in emergency (and even non-emergency) cases. Thank you Angell for all that you’ve done for my dog!!!

  2. geri says:

    oooh! I bet the vet bill hurt a lot more than the surgery!!! Oh, well, what can you do when you love your pet – that is why we have them!!

  3. Gloria says:

    Years ago, my dog Jeep was treated at Angell three times. One surgery for bladder stones, a total hip replacement, and finally to remove a large, highly malignant tumor. Each time, he sailed through his surgeries and came home to me. I am forever grateful to Angell Memorial, Dr. Paul Gambardella, and the very competent staff at 350 South Huntington Ave.

  4. DoverDavid says:

    Awwww look at Bean, what a cutie!

  5. Karen says:

    glad for bean and her family. congratulations to the team at angell memorial. their er team helped my cat back in the 80s. a niece is in her 2nd year of veterinary school in minnesota. i e-mailed her the story.

  6. Stephanie T says:

    Well, as my husband said, she really cut the cheese!! So glad the sweet little thing is mending well.