By Anthony Silva, WBZ NewsRadio 1030 New England Business Editor

BOSTON (CBS) – There seems to be no settlement in sight to return Boston channels 7 and 56 to DirecTV subscribers.

The parent company of WHDH-TV pulled the plug on the transmissions in a dispute over fees. Channel 7 is an affiliate of NBC, which airs this year’s Super Bowl.

WBZ New England Business Editor Anthony Silva has an update.

Listen to the report

Comments (14)
  1. mikey says:

I keep seeing fees mentioned… Who is paying who? And who is demanding more?

Years ago one of the not-so-local channels wanted my towns cable company to pay to carry the channel. Ok, fine, but then take off the ads! Better yet, let us ‘change’ with the FCC so that the RI station was our designated local station for that network. I started pushing for that and guess what? Suddenly the problem was settled…

1. KF4766 says:

From what I understand the parent company of the two channels wants a 300% increase in the fees that DTV pays to air the channel

2. KF4766 says:

From what I understand, the parent company of the two channels is looking for a 300% increase in the fees that Direct tv pays to air the channels

3. Capester says:

As mentioned in tne article, the affiliate of WHDH is NBC- owned by Comcast, the major competitor of Direct TV, Hmmmm

4. metoo says:

I have never understood why TV stations think that the satellite services should pay them to re-broadcast the stations programming? TV stations give away for free, the programming if you can receive their signal. So why should satellite providers have to pay to re-broadcast those free signals? Satellite providers don’t have a monetary interest in the TV stations signal, they are just giving customers what they want. The satellite provider will still be in business, with or without, the TV stations programming. The TV station, on the other hand, has a huge incentive to let the satellite provider re-broadcast their signal; MANY MORE VIEWERS! Those extra viewers add up, when it comes to advertising dollars, so the benefits clearly help the TV station. Stop being so greedy WHDH, you can’t have your cake, and eat it too!
    Just curious though, do all the cable companies pay a fee to each TV station, that they carry on their systems?

1. JRR2 says:

Yes, cable companies pay a fee. The theory is that having the channel makes the cable package more attractive to the potential subscriber. Also, cable companies (and DirecTV) can “bump” advertisements broadcast by WHDH and substitute their own. That is part of the money that WHDH is trying to get from DirecTV.

5. mmc says:

DIrecTV should pay whatever Comcast, Fios, and Dish network pay. Maybe 3-4% increase if they are first ones up for new contract. Any more is WHDH’s fault, any less is DirecTV’s fault. Either way I blame both of em

6. Gus1953 says:

I have DIRECTV and was one of the 200,000+ subscribers that was stopped from viewing NBC out of Boston. I applied for a waiver through DIRECTV to obtain NBC out of New York, I was viewing the station 45 minutes later. WHDH now has permanently lost me as a viewer. I hope their advertisers think about this. By the way, the Superbowl is being held on NBC this year with the largest viewing audience of any program all year.

1. Amy says:

How did you apply for the waiver, Gus1953? Please let me know. I love NFL Sunday Ticket but I will cut DirecTV loose if they aren’t committed to resolving this issue. The irony of being able to watch any game throughout the season and then not be able to watch the Super Bowl when the Pats are in it – cruel !

2. Carol Hartman says:

I have called city hall in Boston as well as Direct TV regarding a waiver, that would be channel 392 … as yet the waiver has not come through … also called WHDH regarding their connection with comcast through sunbeam .. seems there is an issue of possible violation of fair trade/monopoly between sunbeam the parent co. to comcast which happens to be the dominant cable station in the Boston area… called the mayors office and the att. generals office to look into this connection .. if it exists, there must be violation of a fed. law.. meantime, DIRECTTV give waivers..

7. Laura says:

Pats are playing in the Superbowl. Being a Direct TV subscriber, how can I guarantee being able to watch the game?

8. Donna Moskal says:

The Patriots are going to be in the Superbowl. As a longtime subscriber to DirecTV I am not very happy with WHDH and their refusal to settle this issue, Channels 4 and 5 did. They are going to lose a lot of viewers over this. I am not really missing the programming but I will be very upset if I cannot see the Superbowl!

9. Amy says:

C’mon man! Get it together and work this out! I will go to the other dish company if this continues. I am missing the Today show and my fave, Brian Williams on the news. To say nothing of missing the Super Bowl! You can’t negotiate with the programming still on? Why not – are you all in second grade or what?

10. Cindy says:

This all sounds quite childish to me . All the bickering and wanting more and more money-what are the dang commercials for if it’s not for money?? I work a lot of hours and DVR some shows I miss while working. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing when I went to watch “The Biggest Loser” and all I got was the stupid message about WHDH in dispute with DirecTV. You all need to grow up and take your customers into consideration before you lose them for good.