BOSTON (CBS) – Another Boston team is vying for a championship.

With a last second goal, attacker Max Quinzani sent the Boston Cannons to their first Major League Lacrosse championship game on Sunday with a 14-13 win over the Chesapeake Bayhawks.

Saturday’s semifinal was played under a steady rain from Hurricane Irene at Navy-Marine Corp Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Maryland. After the Bayhawks tied the game at 13 with just 37 seconds remaining, Ryan Boyle found Quinzani, a Duxbury native, who put the game winner in with just 1.2 seconds left on the clock.

“All season, this team has handled adversity and has shown resilience,” said Cannons head coach Bill Daye. “Once again, we played to the last whistle to get the W.”

The game began with the Bayhawks taking a commanding 6-1 lead. But Boston closed out the first half with a four goal run, with rookie Brian Farrell, Quinzani, Paul Rabil and Brad Ross each finding the back of the net to cut the lead to one at the half.

Read: Cannons Paul Rabil Named MLL Player of the Year

After Chesapeake took an 8-6 lead in the third quarter, it was all Cannons. Matt Poskay, Quinzani and Boyle scored to give Boston their first lead of the game with less than a minute remaining in the quarter.

The Cannons took a 13-8 lead after PT Ricci picked up a ground ball on a Chris Eck faceoff win, and Mike Stone made it seven unanswered with his second of the game.

But the Bayhawks mounted a comeback. After a Steven Brooks score, Kyle Dixon put in two straight goals, including a two-pointer, leading to Hunt’s tying goal with 37 ticks left.

More Info: Boston Cannons Website

Luckily Quinzani was hungry for the finals, and a hat trick. Boyle found the open attacker, who snuck a low shot past Bayhawks netminder Chris Garrity.

Quinzani was named the Bud Light Player of the Game, for leading the Cannons to just their second postseason win in their 11-year history.

Boston will play the Hamilton Nationals Sunday at 3pm for the Championship.


Leave a Reply