By Beth Germano, WBZ-TVBy Beth Germano

BOSTON (CBS) — Jessica Elways believes in the benefits of breast milk for her seven month old daughter Penelope, but keeping a steady supply hasn’t been easy.

“I work 45 to 50 hours a week. My supply started to dip, and since I work in retail I can’t pump as much during the day,” she said.

She needed something other mothers have and turned to the Facebook site “Eats on Feets” to find it.

Mothers like Jocelyn Tremblay who are willing to donate their breast milk.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports.

“I think it’s a valuable thing for people to have who maybe have no supply of their own,” she said. With her newborn son, Adam, she has a surplus of breast milk and just discovered “Eats on Feets” to post her willingness to donate.

“I think a great thing about Facebook is that it’s very fast and very direct,” said Tremblay.

But it is too fast and too risky for some, including The Mothers’ Milk Bank of New England, based in Newton.

“There are times when moms can be transmitting things to babies they don’t even know about,” said Executive Director Naomi Bar-Yam.

The milk bank screens and processes breast milk for distribution to needy babies for $4.25 an ounce.

Unlike a milk bank, “Eats on Feets” is an exchange with no regulations and no fee. Jessica Elways doesn’t mind the risk.

“I think breast milk has the most benefits, they get the antibodies they need,” she said. It’s a mother-to-mother bond that’s based on trust.

“I think trusting you’re feeding your own child as well, and would hope that you’re a healthy and drug-free person to do that,” said Jocelyn Tremblay.

Donors and recipients are responsible for their own delivery arrangements, and are cautioned by “Eats on Feets” of the benefits and risks.

It’s now becoming a global milk-sharing network that has the Food and Drug Administration now considering whether the milk banks should be regulated.

Beth Germano

Comments (262)
  1. Paige says:

So interesting, read this in The Guardian…seems like Brits are as progressive as the folks at Eats on Feats…

2. emom says:

AAAHHHH gulible trusting niave fools, When someone desides to SUE over what should be a “SAFE” and healthy substance ,,, welll, I can image what someone will say.,,,, I was assured it was safe, free of all chemicals, medications, alchohol, it was dye free, nothing but pure clean healthy milk, we checked out the persons diet, she showed us a diary of what she eat, how she lived, who she was exposed to , when anyone got sick and gave details of her life,, with that we felt it was the best breastmilk to give to our adopted new born.. But within a few weeks she developed a rash and then a respitory problem, come to find out all that was disclosed was not as true as it should be, I feel I was lied to and decieved. I am sueing for damaged to my babies immune system and the cost of medical bills, and the pain and suffering my baby may have to deal with in the future, she is only 3 months old and she is scared for life, Now this sounds like a real case but its not, its merely a possible scenerio,,, but hey sounds extremely plausible,
    Yeah guilible fools need to wake up from your healthy comas and get real, the world lies and you need to get reall…

3. emom says:

4. emom says:

There are some real niave folks on this story, gee, still cant wait for when someone is wronged and BOOM a brand new story,,, If You think this is good then so be it , but many of us seem to think is dangerous, HEY BUY CARRY ON AS USUALL<<< in 20 years or so lets have a conversation on the benifits of someone elses stuff, fools still will be fools.

5. Paige says:

If you look at the Guardian on-line they have an article about a restaurant in Covant Garden that serves breastmilk ice cream. Endangering the lives of Britons and tourists everywhere! And they screen there milk mamas the same way I do for my daughter! Whoa! LOL!

1. emom says:

hey guess what britain is now looking into the safety of this breast milk icecream saw it on line today seems even they beleive this may not be a good idea.. yeah get back to me in 20 years to see if the benifits outway the risks,,, spreading your germs is not a good idea…its like sneezing on your friends food,, talk about risks

6. neither friend nor foe says:

another reason not to get married. womens iqs are just too low. quite sad. this headline made me cringe. poor children they always get it worse.

7. Samantha Putnam says:

Okay, I have a question. So I can walk in my kitchen and thaw a bag of MY breast milk to feed to MY baby, and that’s perfectly okay (recommended even!). But if another woman were to feed that same bag of milk to HER baby, it’s EXTREMELY RISKY? Why? Seems like a double standard to me.

This isn’t as dangerous as some people want to make it out to be. My medical records show that I’m disease free and healthy. My baby’s medical records show that he is exclusively breastfed by me, and he’s also disease free and healthy. So what’s the problem?

I’ll tell you what the problem is: there’s no monetary profit to be had for ANYONE. I don’t charge anything for my milk, I GIVE IT AWAY. That’s right FOR FREE. That’s what’s got so many people’s feathers ruffled: the fact that they can’t profit from this in some way.

8. emom says:

YEAH you still dont get it, You know its ok, but truely , the rest of the world DOES NOT. with so much that people come in contact with , its very difficult to be absolutly sure with out haveing it tested prior to use, and sorry that is a huge expense for wither party.. You may think your fine, oh but wait what about your partner, truth be told the other person can transmitt a disease, what about those you are exposed with ,, aaahhh like measles, colds, it happens and you may not even be aware of it, there are way to many scenerios of what could happen. so as for all this safetly its not safe to say that its totally safe,, but if some rather have the risks over safety , whos stopping them,,

9. blue says:

man…there are some sick, neurotic, paranoid people posting here.

10. savings says:

lortzea nire duzu beti gogorra, baina zer definitly merezi izan zela. Dut behar hi esan eta esango dizu i atzera izango

11. Full Sheet Sets says:

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write once more soon!