By Jon Keller

BOSTON (CBS) – The service has been bad, and the commute has been awful. Now, the MBTA is vowing to make changes.

The state, the MBTA, and Commuter Rail said they will fix the communication problems and reduce schedules during storms.

WBZ’s Jon Keller is at large.

Jon Keller

Comments (9)
  1. kate arment says:

I have no confidence in the commuter system- North Station is the poor step child-Everytime i read about the great news that new engines and cars are coming…..North Station is left in the cold-
    The new North Station design was not made for commuter comfort-it’s just as crowded, and dangerous when crowed….and the food shops seemed to get preference for space over people comfort and safety……..Salem Station is filthy and unprotected from the weather-try waiting in the wind and snow for 45 mins to and hour …and then have the trains creep along—–if the signal boxes are frozen- why arn’t they protected better- this is a problem not just in the winter—-i could go on and on and on—–talk is cheap- especially when the T cares only babout their image andnot the safety, comfort and care of people who buy the tickets—which are so expensive -we are not getting our moneys worth- scale of 1 to 10——a big fat 0—-maybe i should post this on face book

2. mikey says:

YO BOSTONIRISH! What’s that line about elephants?

3. taxedout says:

I smell a FARE increase!!!!!

4. khrissy says:

It’s Kinda funny how they have this story on the news last night and Ohhhh low and behold. I’m on a train that has broken down just outside Worcester station. We didn’t even make it to the first stop. There is no power and no heat. I personally have started taking an earlier train just to be able to get to work on time.

5. Jess says:

On the news this morning they stated they would have workers at each station during train problems to “listen to what people have to say.” Is it really necessary to spend money on that?? Your better off following riders on twitter and see the complaints and not have to pay someone to “listen” when those people could used else where to resolve the issues.

6. Meredith says:

I’m glad the Commuter Rail and the MBTA have made the news, as recent as this morning; more awareness is key–however, I believe the daily commuters are well aware of the trials and tribulations of riding the commuter rail. Just yesterday (and now as I am sitting on a delayed train, which should be express and now is local) the engineer driving the train and the conductors have apologized for inconveniences but have expressed they have instructions out of their control that changes the schedule. I know this does not address signal/switch/mechanical issues but these “powers that be” that direct the orders for the trains need help. Monday, I was on my usual express train running close to schedule; I received an email alert about a train cancellation after mine and thought nothing of it (these emails would help if expedited). However, at our last stop before Back Bay we hear over the microphone that our train has been instructed to turn into a local train and must wait at this stop for roughly 15 minutes. As a commuter rail commuter we are literally at the will of the higher powers that be orchestrating the trains. At least with my delayed train this morning several commuters at my stop have friends that get on in Grafton and could keep us posted via cell phone… Daily I ride the Worcester line and witness the number of commuters using this mode of public transit proving how we value this resource; now people are losing faith completely knowing from experience the system is corrupt. The MBTA frequently loses money when trains are cars too short or magically turn into local trains, where there are so many passengers the cars are “standing room only” in that all seats are taken and the aisles/stairwells/entrances are 5 deep with commuters. I am not naïve to the costs and struggles of running such a large operation; many forget the cold temperatures affecting switches, trains warming up and getting going, etc… And just now I am sitting in Framingham with two trains headed to Boston and am told the other train is riding ahead of us–so that people are crossing over the bridge to the other side of the tracks to climb on the othe train. I crossed over myself and just barely made it on the train before it started moving while people we’re still trying to climb on… I’d expect you to receive more comments this moring, Keller, as you seem to be the only one listening.

1. Jon Keller says:

Thanks Meredith, we’re going to keep on this, the meltdown of MBTA service is a major story that is likely not going away

7. G. Claytor says:

who would have confidence in something that is NEVER on time or reliable. To all the T higher ups-try taking the commuter trains when you have to get somewhere. Stand outside at one of the train stops, in frigid cold waiting on something thats not coming. Try navigating some of the stops where just parking and getting on and off the train is a nightmare. Do this for one month and you will see what we fleeced commuters have to go through. Oh by the way, the regular MBTA is no better!

8. Michael says:

Keller….You have to keep after them for us.

Today, we’re waiting and the Commuter Rail Sign Board keeps telling us: “Welcome to Commuter Rail”

No Train comes, no information except “Welcome to Commuter Rail” flashes.

Someone who has a smart phone gets a message saying the train is cancelled.

The information screen in the station keeps repeating “Welcome to Commuter Rail”.

Commuter Rail and the T should stop wasting their time and money telling us they are going to change, and get people in management and staff who get it.
    Stop with the hype…..get on with the action. Lets hear from them what they are really going to do, and not just the empty rhetoric.