SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — David Ortiz says he is looking forward to playing next season even though the Boston Red Sox did not give him the new multiyear contract he wanted.
“Boston made its decision, and I am going to play hard,” Ortiz said during a news conference Monday to promote his third charity golf tournament. I wanted a new contract, but I know that this is a business. Sometimes good decisions are made and other times not.”READ MORE: Young coyote mistaken for dog now bonding with another rescued pup
Ortiz led Boston with 32 homers and tied for the team lead with 102 RBIs while hitting .270.
Earlier this month, the Red Sox exercised their $12.5 million option on Ortiz rather than give the designated hitter a multiyear deal. Boston didn’t want to commit big money beyond 2011 to a player who just turned 35, has had trouble hitting left-handers and rarely plays in the field.
Ortiz also has slipped from career-highs of 148 RBIs in 2005, 54 homers in 2006 and a .332 batting average in 2007.READ MORE: New England Living: Behind the scenes at WaterFire in Providence
Ortiz’s past contributions and the fact that he’s a fan favorite contributed to the team’s decision to exercise the option.
In 2009, he hit just .238, his lowest batting average since he joined Boston before the 2003 season as a free agent from the Minnesota Twins. But he did have 28 homers and 99 RBIs.
Ortiz’s golf tournament will be held from Dec. 2-5 in Cap Cana. Money raised will be used to assist children with heart problems,
“We’re going to do all that is possible to help the children in Boston and the Dominican Republic,” he said.MORE NEWS: Jimmy Butler wants to run into Celtics 'and see who falls down first'
(© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)