WBZ Cares is our public service initiative focused on local non-profit entities, events, and causes. Each month WBZ NewsRadio 1030 will select an organization to profile.
Through news stories, public service announcements and guest appearances on NightSide with Dan Rea, we will show the hard work and dedication of our local charities.
WBZ NewsRadio has been a trusted voice in New England for more than 90 years and we would like to work with our listeners to improve the lives of New Englanders in need.
If you would like your charity to be considered, please send us an email.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 is proud to support the Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center, an organization that leverages tennis to open doors of opportunity for youth in some of Boston’s most underserved communities. They employ top-level, certified coaches who have competed or trained players at the highest levels of tennis. Their goal is to develop players capable of playing college tennis.
Founded in 1961, STEC was the first African–American tennis club in the US. The founders were committed to introducing and teaching tennis to inner-city Boston youth. They believed that quality tennis instruction and interaction with caring adults could develop well-rounded young citizens.
For over 50 years Sportsmen’s has been a guiding force in the lives of thousands of low and moderate– income minority youth. The Club has helped introduce local players to worlds of opportunity, and the world of tennis to Boston.
- Junior Tennis Clinics Camps and Private Lessons
- Serving over 200 students in grades K-12 through The Learning Center at Sportsmen’s (TLC) a comprehensive set of year-round out-of-school-time educational support and social enrichment support programs that build fundamental skills in reading, science & math and prepares our youth to enter and graduate college.
- School Partnership with 12 Area Schools and Community Centers.
- Volley Against Violence (VAV) Community Partnership with Boston Police
- Brigham and Women’s Center for Community Wellness, Dorchester (CCW), a
new two-level health, wellness, and education center which has doubled our capacity to host educational and enrichment programs and provides a space from which to conduct our wellness and health prevention curriculum
To build leaders on the court, in the classroom, and in the greater community by providing academic, wellness and social development programs alongside recreational and competitive tennis instruction for youth and adults.
Sportsmen’s is committed to improving life opportunities for youth in Boston’s Blue Hill Corridor while welcoming a diverse community from the Greater Boston area.
- NightSide – WBZ Cares – Sportsmen’s Tennis and Enrichment Center (STEC)
- WBZ Cares: Boston Police Officers Help Contribute To Tennis Program
- WBZ Cares: Fundraising and Adult Tennis League Help Keep STEC Doors Open For Youth
- WBZ Cares: STEC Introduces Tennis to Boston Area Youth
- WBZ Cares: Personal Experiences Help Shape One Summit Mission
- WBZ Cares: Child Born With Brain Tumor Never Gives Up
- WBZ Cares: Navy Seals Help Cancer Patients Build ‘Pure Resilience’
- WBZ Cares: One Summit Helps Children With Cancer Build Courage
Read: All WBZ CARES Stories from WBZ NewsRadio 1030
- One Summit
- Alzheimer’s Association of Massachusetts/New Hampshire Chapter
- The Megan House
- Camp Harbor View
- The Home For Little Wanderers
- Operation A.B.L.E.
- Good Sports
- Animal Rescue League of Boston
- Generations Incorporated
- Big Brother Big Sister
- Christmas in the City
- New England Center for Homeless Veterans
- Learn to Cope
- Cradles to Crayons
- Genesis Foundation
- St. Mary’s Center for Women and Children
- The Shadow Fund