1. Westwood ranked number 13 on which 2005 CNN/Money Magazine list?
A. Safest Towns in the United States
B. Best Public School Systems
C. Best Real Estate Markets
D. Best Places to Live in the United States – In July 2005, Westwood was named the 13th best place to live in the US.
2. Westwood is home to one of the country’s oldest ____.
A. Police Stations
B. Churches – Westwood’s First Baptist Church, built in 1730, is one of America’s oldest churches; it is still used today.
C. Elementary Schools
D. General Stores
3. Westwood is a dry town.
B. False – Until 2005, Westwood was a dry town. Now, restaurants can apply for liquor licenses. There are still no liquor stores.
4.The remains of what hiding place for King Philip and his men during the King Philip’s War sits along Route 109?
A. A Wooden Fort
B. A Cave – The remains of a cave sit along Route 109. Much oft the cave was blown up in the 1950s so Route 109 could be straightened out.
C. A Colonial-style House
D. A Stone Wall
5. Xaverian Bothers High School, a Catholic school for boys, is located in Westwood. Which NFL quarterback graduated from Xaverian?
A. Todd Collins, Chicago Bears
B. Brian St. Pierre, Carolina Panthers
C. Dan Orlovsky, Houston Texans
D. Matt Hasselback, Indianapolis Colts – Hasselback and his brothers attended Xaverian. He graduated in 1994 and went on to play for Boston College.
6. What was Westwood’s original name?
A. West Dedham – Until 1897, the area that is now Westwood was the westernmost part of Dedham.
B. West Canton
C. West Towne
D. New Dedham
7. Which type of soldier from the Battle of Bunker Hill was buried in the old Westwood cemetery?
C. Drummer – Major Robert Steele is buried in Westwood. He was the drummer boy for the Continental Army during the Battle of Bunker Hill.
8. The record holder for most Super Bowl rings graduated from Westwood High School.
B. False – Mike Woicik, who graduated from Westwood High, is an NFL strength and conditioning coach. He won three with the Dallas Cowboys and three with the New England Patriots. It’s one short of the record, seven.
9. Westwood’s Bubbling Brook Restaurant has some of the best ___ in Massachusetts.
A. American Cuisine
B. Cheap Eats
C. Ice Cream – Numerous sites have named Bubbling Brook one of the best ice cream shops in the state.
D. Fried Seafood
10. A former Red Sox General Manager is from Westwood.
B. False – John Harrington, a Westwood native, was the CEO of the Red Sox. He is now Chairman of the Yawkey Foundation.
Related: More Townie Trivia