Upon launching the Townie Trivia series a few months ago, we noticed a healthy discussion about the definition of ‘Townie.’ While we use the term in the broader sense, some Charlestown natives point out that they are the only true townies. So, this is where we appease them with Townie Trivia: How Much Do You Know About Charlestown?
1. Prior to Boston’s establishment, Charlestown was the capital of Massachusetts.
2. The Battle of Bunker Hill was actually fought at:
A. Bunker Hill
B. Breeds Hill
C. Dorchester Heights
D. Chelsea Creek
3. The oldest tavern in Massachusetts, which was reportedly visited by the likes of George Washington and Paul Revere, is in Charlestown. What is it called?
A. Warren Tavern
B. White Horse Tavern
C. Green Dragon
D. Tavern at the End of the World
4. As noted in the movie “The Town,” Charlestown is in fact the bank robbery capital of the U.S.
5. Bunker Hill Community College, where Robin Williams’ character Dr. Sean Maguire taught in the movie “Good Will Hunting,” is a former _________.
A. Molasses Factory
B. State Mental Hospital
C. Navy Shipbuilding Business
D. State Prison
6. Which one of the following people grew up in Charlestown?
A. Dennis Lehane, Author
B. Chevy Chase, Actor
C. Howie Long, NFL Hall of Famer
D. Mike Milbury, Retired NHL Player
7. While Boston was dumping tea into the harbor, Charlestown was simultaneously burning piles of tea in bonfire fashion.
8. In 1775, Charlestown was almost entirely destroyed by what?
9. A canal once connected Charlestown to Lowell, but it closed after the opening of the Boston and Lowell Railroad.
10. During the so-called mob wars that began in the 1960s, the Charlestown Mob was at odds with which of the following groups?
A. The Mullen Gang
B. The Genovese Crime Family
C. The Bonanno Crime Family
D. The Winter Hill Gang
Answers on Page 2