B. Textile manufacturing – Lowell was founded in the 1820s as a planned textile manufacturing location.
D. Metal production
2. Because of the large textile industry, Lowell was relatively unaffected by the Great Depression.
B. False – Lowell suffered horribly during the Great Depression. Only one in three textile mills stayed open.
3. Lowell hosts the nation’s second largest free festival for what type of music?
A. Alternative rock
C. Heavy Metal
D. Folk – The festival is held each year at the end of July. The only folk festival larger than Lowell’s is Seattle’s.
4. Lowell has been home to which types of minor league sports teams?
A. Baseball and hockey – Lowell is home to the Spinners, a minor league baseball team, and the Devils, a hockey team that only played for three seasons.
B. Baseball and basketball
C. Soccer and hockey
D. Hockey and basketball
5. Lowell aims to lower their voting age.
A. True – Residents of Lowell, specifically supporters of the ‘Vote 17’ campaign, are trying to make the city the first in the nation to allow 17-year-olds to vote in municipal elections. They hope this will increase voter turnout and spark youth interest in politics.
6. Which convenience store was founded in Lowell?
B. CVS – The first CVS was founded in 1963 and was located on Merrimack Street in Lowell.
D. White Hen Pantry
7. Which immigrant population in Lowell has created a cultural neighborhood and hopes to turn it into a tourist destination?
C. Cambodia – The Cambodian presence in Lowell is so large that that city has a “Little Cambodia” segment. In 2010, the city started to make efforts to turn Little Cambodia into a popular destination for tourists.
8. Despite its industrial background, Lowell has been recognized for its environmentally friendly practices.
A. True – In 2010, Lowell was designated a “Green Community.” The city received state and federal funds to promote clean-energy usage.
9. Lowell was the birthplace of which supermarket chain?
A. Market Basket – The first Market Basket was opened by Greek immigrants, Athanasios and Efrosini DeMoulas, in 1916 in Lowell.
B. Price Chopper
C. Shaw’s/Star Market
10. Which movie was not filmed in Lowell?
A. The Invention of Lying
B. The Fighter
C. Grown Ups – The other three films were all partially shot in Lowell. Grown Ups was filmed in Southborough and Essex.
D. Louis Cyr
Related: More Townie Trivia