Labor Day implies that summer is over and the school year is about to start, and for many of us this feels more like the beginning of a new year than January first.
Not too long ago, there was a push to rid our homes of thermometers containing mercury. Now, we’re being pushed to use compact fluorescent lightbulbs that contain mercury. This seems a contradiction. I am uncomfortable using a lightbulb that requires me to take special measures to dispose. I’m concerned about having these in my home. What are homeowners supposed to do if one breaks? – Joan, Haverhill
There are some new high-tech gadgets on the market that can keep kids safe on Halloween or any night of the year.