By Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Putting one foot in front of the other. It’s something most of us do without even thinking about it. But walking – at a brisk pace for an extended period of time – can have many health benefits. Not only benefits for our hearts, bones, and overall physical health, but for our mind and spiritual health as well.
That’s why Beth Israel Deaconess created The Walking Club. It’s a “virtual club” with a compilation of online tools, articles, videos, kits and motivational materials to help you, your family, your neighbors, your coworkers, and even your classmates get involved in a walking program.
To date, there are dozens of local companies involved in the Beth Israel Deaconess Walking Club.
By joining the club, you will have access to tools, many created by the clinicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and our affiliate institutions and presented by our CardioVascular Institute, which cares about keeping the heart and vascular system of each person in our community strong. Here is some of what this free club offers:
- Free membership! Sign up and get a cool wristband!
- Free “kits” for download and print out for companies and schools that describe how to start a walking program.
- A free pedometer app for iPhone and Android to keep track of your daily steps.
- A personalized “prescription” pad calculator – find out how much YOU should walk to better your health.
- E-cards you can email to a friend, inviting them to take a walk with you.
- Videos that describe the best walking technique and help motivate you to keep going.
So grab your sneakers and a friend and get ready to walk! We’ll be with you every step of the way.
Above content provided by Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. For advice about your medical care, consult your doctor.
Posted May 2014