By Beth Germano

METHUEN (CBS) – A Methuen man has died after police say he was overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning from two generators he had running in his basement.

A 911 call came from the man’s wife just before 9 a.m. saying she was feeling sick and her husband, 55-year-old Joseph Sholik, was unconscious.

Police say the generators were not properly vented. They were being used by the couple during a power outage in the city following Wednesday’s storm.

methuen Methuen Man Dies, Wife Hospitalized With CO Poisoning From Generator

A couple suffered carbon monoxide poisoning inside this Methuen home. (WBZ-TV)

“You do not run generators of any kind in an enclosed space, a garage, a basement, never,” said Methuen police Sgt. James Moore.

Neighbor Ed Cundelo says it’s been growing increasingly cold since the power went out and the sound of generators can be heard throughout the Pelham Street neighborhood.

Adding to the tragedy a dog was treated and a cat was found deceased.

“The cat’s name was Mulligan, a real pretty orange cat. She was crazy about that cat,” said Cundelo.

It’s unclear how high the levels were or if there was a working CO detector.

Ed Cundelo says he heard the generators next door but didn’t know where they were.

“Everyone knows not to put them in a confined area because of the exhaust. I would have given him that advice if I had known. I’m very saddened,” he said.

Police say the victim’s wife is expected to make a full recovery.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s