MASHPEE (CBS) – A fire hit Cape Cod’s first medical marijuana dispensary and now its grand opening is on hold.

Just before 7 a.m., a passerby called 911 to report smoke coming from the newly built Triple M building on Echo Road.

Firefighters found flames in the attic sparked by heating cables.

There was no marijuana in the building at the time. Triple M’s product is grown at a facility in Plymouth.

“The good part is we opened yesterday in Plymouth so those people on the Cape that are waiting for Mashpee to open can come across the bridge,” said Kevin O’Reilly of Triple M.

Triple M stands for Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts and the store in Plymouth will supply the Mashpee store when it’s repaired.

“We’ll be the first medical marijuana dispensary open on Cape and unfortunately we had a little bit of an electrical fire this morning in the facility,” said O’Reilly.

Triple M says they should be in business in a couple of weeks.

marijuana Newly Built Marijuana Dispensary Damaged By Fire

A marijuana facility in Mashpee that caught fire. (Image Credit: Bill Shields/WBZ-TV)

No one was in the dispensary at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.

Friday was supposed to be the soft opening of the facility following a Department of Public Health inspection.

Comments (3)
  1. “smoke coming from the building”- I hope the fire fighters didn’t get too close. Did they have silly grins, glossy eyes, & were they eating cookies, cupcakes, etc while putting out the fire?

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Opioid Crisis
Download Our App
Download Weather App