By Dr. Mallika Marshall

BOSTON (CBS) – Doctors are increasingly concerned about the safety of fidget spinners, which took the world by storm last year.

A new report describes two children who were severely injured by swallowing the toys’ lithium button batteries. Doctors from Boston Children’s Hospital agree that the unlabeled batteries in fidget spinners pose a potential danger to kids.

These toys are not suitable for young children. Fidget spinners come in different shapes and sizes and pieces can come off, which can be a choking hazard.

The ones that light up have tiny lithium batteries inside which if swallowed can cause severe burns to the esophagus, burns so bad they could be deadly.

If you’re a parent, keep fidget spinners away from young kids and know that the ones that light up pose an additional danger with their batteries.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Opioid Crisis
Download Our App
Download Weather App