MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CBS) — What appears to have been an accidental kitchen fire forced over a dozen people out of their homes in Manchester on Thursday.

Officials said they received a report of a fire on Hanover Street around 10 a.m.

The fire started in a back apartment on the first floor and eventually spread to all three floors of the building.

Over 100 firefighters were called to the help fight the flames.

Heavy flames initially made it unsafe for firefighters to fight the fire from within.

Additionally, firefighters on the scene were having trouble with a fire hydrant in front of the house. Heavy wind also contributed to the fire’s rapid spread.

Timothy Dorgan’s hands are bandaged from being singed in the fire that destroyed the building where he works as a home health aide. Before he grabbed two other people and ran for his life, he first called 911 and grabbed an extinguisher.

“I was just like paralyzed cause I couldn’t figure out what to do, I didn’t know if there was anybody in there,” Dorgan said.

The fire was under control by 1 p.m. and completely extinguished just past 2 p.m., officials said.

manchester 100 Firefighters Called To Help Put Out Apartment Building Fire

Firefighters fight flames on Hanover Street in Manchester (WBZ-TV)

One firefighter was taken to the hospital with second-degree burns on a wrist, they were treated and released.

Approximately $1 million was done in damage.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Opioid Crisis
Download Our App
Download Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE