BRAINTREE (CBS) – Part of the South Shore Plaza in Braintree was evacuated after a chemical spill late Friday afternoon. The incident happened at the Chipotle restaurant inside the mall.

According to fire officials, workers spilled a cleaning product while they were moving it from one area to another.

“They dropped a jug of cleaning solution,” Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Barker said. “Tried to clean it up with another product. It was a chemical reaction.”

chipotle1 Part Of South Shore Plaza Evacuated After Chemical Spill

Part of the South Shore Plaza in Braintree was evacuated after a chemical spill (WBZ-TV)

One Chipotle worker was taken to the hospital with a minor burn and eight others were taken as a precaution. The irritation the workers experienced was similar to pepper spray, according to Barker.

“They tried to clean it up making a bad situation worse,” Barker said.

Four firefighters were decontaminated at the scene.

The businesses directly above and to the sides of the Chipotle restaurant were evacuated as a precaution. The area was deemed safe shortly before 6:00 p.m.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Opioid Crisis
Download Our App
Download Weather App

Watch & Listen LIVE