Michael Felger Apologizes For Roy Halladay Comments: ‘I Have No Defense, I Have No Explanation’

BOSTON (CBS) — On Wednesday, 98.5 The Sports Hub host Michael Felger generated controversy with his comments about the death of former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay.

To open Thursday’s show, Felger addressed the situation.

“In a nutshell I would say that I feel bad about what happened on a lot of levels. I feel bad about what I said and how I conducted myself. To say it was over the top and insensitive is really stating the obvious. It was obviously those things,” Felger said to start the show.

“I could come in and say ‘I apologize if I offended anyone,’ but that’s fake and hollow and everyone hates that, don’t you? Isn’t that the worst, when someone comes in and says that?” he continued. “Besides the only folks that I would really want to extend that to are the loved ones of Halladay. They’re the ones dealing with enough right now not to have to have me come over the top and do what I did yesterday. So, sorry doesn’t do that justice as it relates to them. That one’s going to stick with me for a while, as it relates to them.”

Felger also apologized to his coworkers for having to “answer for my poor judgment” over the past 24 hours, and said that his Dale Earnhardt comment was poorly constructed hyperbole.

“I meant part of what I said yesterday, and there were parts I didn’t mean. It was just dumb hyperbole. The Earnhardt thing falls in that second category. That was just dumb hyperbole. I didn’t mean that,” Felger said. “There is stuff that I did mean, but the presentation and the tone and the hyperbole was just low class, bad, not good. I don’t feel good about it.

“I regret my conduct yesterday. I believe what I believe, I do, but the tone and the hysterics were really uncalled for. To say ‘inappropriate and over the line’ is just stating the obvious, they’re clearly those things and it really goes without saying,” he reiterated. “I have no defense, I have no explanation. I’m not asking for any sympathy or a break or anything. … What I’ve gotten, I’ve deserved. I’ve deserved what I’ve gotten in the last day or so.”

Felger did issue one brief correction, in that the quote that says he believes Halladay deserved to die was misattributed. He referenced how Deadspin’s headline claimed that Felger believed “Roy Halladay Deserved To Die.” Felger clarified that he was referring to himself in a hypothetical scenario when he said those words.

“I’m talking about me there. I’m not telling you that I’ve been treated unfairly, because parts of that diatribe were so over the top, and the overall tonality was so bad that I deserve whatever headline I get. But just so you know, that’s where the ‘Roy Halladay deserves to die’ line came from. I was referring to me with that line,” Felger said. “Now there are maybe 20 other lines in that rant that you could pick out and make a bad headline out of and you could put in quotes, and I would feel bad about those, too. But since that’s the one that’s at the front of everyone’s mind and everyone’s lips, I just thought I’d play that little piece for you. It’s up to you whether you [believe]. I’m telling you I was talking about me, not him. But again, that’s up to you. … If you don’t buy that, that’s up to you. You can believe what you want to believe. The rest of it was inappropriate enough where you don’t have to give me the benefit of the doubt.”

Felger then opened the phone lines to take calls from those who have questions for him.

Listen to Felger’s full comments in the video above or the audio below:

Comments

1. Ellen Mahan says:

You can not take back what you said, in your own words you have stated that you have no defense or explanation…. that is a copout you went on a twelve minute diatribe insulting a dead man, that is lower than low….. you should be taken off the air if you lack self control and discipline…. will there be a next time? I am sure that there will be. The station has a new owner, hopefully they will decide that someone like you is going to be a detriment to the station and should be fired…..

2. Erik Sprague says:

Did you really just try to spin yesterday, you idiot? The only thing worse than a fake apology is a non-apology. You sounded like a bumbling fool. You are going to get crushed for that, grey beard. Did you really just try to manipulate people by re-playing the audio and saying we didn’t understand you? That’s it? It’s our fault, hahaha. What a total weasel you are and cbs is for not suspending you. Hope the Nascar peeps pull their advertising, weasels.

3. I completely understand the point you were trying to make as I feel the same way. Granted- not the best time for his family to hear it, but not untrue. If a person (especially with a family) continually engages in high risk behaviors and activities like racing, climbing mountains, swimming with sharks, etc. and then dies as a result of it the sympathy factor is very low looking in from the outside. Crazy actions often become tragic consequences and the families are left to suffer while the adrenaline junkies are laid to rest. I feel anger towards them for leaving their loved ones, only sympathy for the family! It’s a wasted life but it’s their fault for making those choices. You were harsh in your wording, but accurate with your feelings.

1. Wow. Defending the indefensible. Good luck with that.

4. Casey Dolan says:

Fire both of them, no excuse, everything that people hate about Boston in ‘one bit’. Make no mistake that’s all it was to them a ‘bit’

5. I love the Felger and Mazz show they do a great job bringing the Boston sports news and opinions
    however i often feel they take some news a little too far and this is one of the cases where he took a sport related new a little too far and this is the back lash he is getting.
    please always keep in mind we the audience have feelings and whatever you said it wont be able to take it back and will hurt people feeling specially in this kind of sad news.
    good for you to recognize your mistake and apologize please be diligent going forward and not make this kind of mistakes on air.

thank you for your show and keep your head up we are not perfect we are humans.

MG.

6. While no one “deserves” to die and Felger was over-the-top with his take on this tragedy, it should be pointed out that Mr. Halladay was flying recklessly. He was not experienced enough, as a pilot, to be practicing the maneuvers he was doing and should have had an experienced pilot with him. An experienced pilot may have been able to get the plane out of the situation that killed Mr. Halladay. No excuse for Felger to go off the deep end, but let’s understand that Mr. Halladay might still be alive if he’d done things with more care!

Sports radio is designed to garner opinions and create controversy, that’s what Felger did. Doesn’t mean he deserves to be fired either!

7. Inexcusable and insensitive regardless of how many excuses Felger tries to use to talk his way out of this poop-storm. Regardless of how Roy Halladay died, he was an amazing talent and deserved to be remembered as such, not with a backhanded, “he deserved what he got” comment from a caveman. Totally disrespectful at a most sensitive time in his family’s life.

8. Felger IS and always has been THE epitome of a JERK, and Masserotti (sic) a “screamer” when a guest on Sunday night’s WBZ Sports show. SO glad I do NOT listen to the radio station and the best thing that CBS can do is UNLOAD that radio station and those 2 SICK, so-called sports junkies who are in reality “complimentary JERKS!!! “

9. Just heard about this idiot and he should be FIRED for his comments! Is this really what we need to be hearing on the radio after someone lost their life and left kids and a wife behind.

FIRE THIS IDIOT – he does not need to be on the radio PERIOD!

10. I support Felger. Told no lies, shared his opinion. Doc has no pilot license and was entry level, which for some reason this plane is being sold to folks who do not have a pilot license. There has been a history of accidents and yes, there is risk flying in a plane like that. He had a family and he should have made better choices…..TMZ is reporting that Halladay was show boating in the plane, apparently there are pics and video of pushing the limits of the plane….he was idiot for doing that.

If you can’t have opinion in sports radio you really won’t have anything to talk about.

11. I totally agree w/Felger he has shared his opinion and what Halladay did was very stupid leaving his wife alone w/their children….COME ON was that a way to not wanting to get involved w/his children’s lives. Some people would love to have a family w/their spouse and they can’t and Halladay does something that his own wife was truly against it that poor soul this is truly unfair what Halladay did he was only thinking of himself and he paid the consequences that is a shame.
    As far has Felger being fired NO NO AND NO he just apologize to the audiences what more do u people want from him …….you people if u don’t know by now it takes a REAL MAN to admit he was wrong in some part and he was right to say that Halladay ignore what his poor wife wanted from him NOT TO GO is that so hard to understand well apparently it was for Halladay and now his wife and children are ALONE because of HIM! To me, it looks like Halladay was very stubborn and that stubbornness she paid the price. My deepest condolences to the Halladay’s family.

12. Who says he was flying recklessly? Untrained media types and keyboard warriors? It is plausible that he was practicing approaches for a water landing, just like Munson was practicing touch and goes 4 decades ago…
    As for these idiots, there is no need to have such insensitive glory hunters on the air. Fire them

13. David Lelli says:

Felger said nothing wrong and his comments were spot on. There was no reason for him to apologize. I wonder where the pressure came for him to have done so. That is the real enemy. Political correctness is ruining our society. He should have doubled down.

14. Evan Leitner says:

I defend Felger. This is just another case of the pussification, and ultra-sensitivity in America. Everyone, has to be offended for something. When you are a thrill seeker, you put your life on the line, and that is what Felger was trying to say. He was saying that it’s selfish when you have a family, to do such a stupid act. The only people I feel bad for is Roy Halliday’s kids, because they now have no dad, and his wife who has no husband. His selfish acts are what should be the topic. It’s only tragic for the kids. Stupid actions get stupid results.

15. Jeff Gilbert says:

I think his rant was over the top and completely insensitive. That being said, he doesn’t deserve to lose his job over this. Many sports commentators get caught up in the moment. If you want to punish him, suspend him for a week without pay and have that money donated to a good cause.

16. Why to make your apology all about you. Oh YOU feel bad? And hey, look at me and how different MY apology is from all the others your hear. And now *I* have to live with this. You are human garbage.

17. Felger must go. There’s no excuse for dancing on somebody’s grave. What’s worse is his “apology” in which he made himself out to be the aggrieved party and tired to make it the fault of the listeners.

18. Fred Pleis says:

Lest anyone be confused, Roy Halladay was a gentleman in life and of the game. To disparage his name and his memory with tasteless comments is shameful. I hope it was worth it to you to be so cavalier about a family losing a husband and a father and the baseball world losing a man who was everything that is good about being a teammate and friend.

19. A holiday weekend suspension with pay is ridiculous. Michael Felger is clearly an insensitive jerk without an ounce of sympathy or empathy for anyone except himself. Even his apology was half-hearted in my view. I’ll never listen to or watch him again. He should have been suspended longer without pay or outright fired. I’m pretty sure that he would have been more severely punished if his ratings were lower.

20. What he SHOULD be saying is “I have no job”. What a low life.