WBZ-TV
WBZ NewsRadio 1030
98.5 The Sports Hub
myTV38

Sources: Las Vegas Shooter Searched For Hotels Near Fenway Park

BOSTON (CBS) — The Las Vegas shooter had researched concert locations in Boston, sources told WBZ-TV chief investigative reporter Cheryl Fiandaca.

Those sources said Stephen Paddock, 64, searched for hotels near Fenway Park–but said there is no evidence he ever traveled to the area.

The Red Sox issued a statement about the reports.

We are aware of the media reports. The FBI has requested all inquiries be referred directly to them. While there is currently no credible threat to Fenway Park according to public safety agencies, the Red Sox have been working with city, state, and federal officials on increased security measures for postseason games at Fenway Park.

CBS Chicago also reports Paddock booked a hotel overlooking the Lollapalooza music festival two months before the Las Vegas massacre.

Gov. Charlie Baker said there is no evidence of an imminent threat that has anything to do with the Commonwealth, and deferred to authorities in Vegas.

“The investigation is being led by the folks in Las Vegas, and we’re in constant conversation with the fusion center here in Massachusetts, which is in constant contact with them,” Baker said. “We’re aware of the media reports, but because it’s an ongoing investigation, I’m not going to speak any more to it than that.”

Stephen Paddock. (Photo credit: CBS News)

The FBI Boston Division said there is no information to indicate any additional threat, and “Any possible nexus to Boston discovered during the ongoing investigation has and will be immediately briefed to the Boston Police Department, and other affected law enforcement agencies.”

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said he was alarmed by the reports, and said no law enforcement told him Paddock had looked into Boston.

Evans says as police bolster security at major events, they will also be working with hotels. “Look for telltale signs,” Evans said. “Someone who might be out of the ordinary. Might be taking a lot of luggage. That’s something unfortunately we’re going to have to watch now.”

Paddock killed 58 people and wounded hundreds when he opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival, a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip, from his suite on the 32nd floor of the nearby Mandalay Bay Hotel.

He shot and killed himself as police closed in on his room.

Police said Paddock did leave a note, and that he may have been trying to escape after the shooting.

Broken windows on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino after a lone gunman opened fired on the Route 91 Harvest country music festival on October 2, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images)

Investigators are looking into all of Paddock’s movements over the last several weeks.

CBS News has reported he did scout other hotels and concert venues in the Las Vegas area, looking to book specific rooms.

Police said it appears Paddock may have had help, and are looking into anyone who may have had contact with him in the days leading up to the shooting.

They said so far it appears Paddock led a quiet life with very few close friends.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports

Visit Full Site