LAWRENCE (CBS) – A massive fire in Lawrence that spread to eight buildings was caused by smoking.

The fire on Bennington Street destroyed three multi-family homes and damaged four others, along with a garage on Sunday.

The State Fire Marshal says the “improper disposal of smoking materials” led to the fire that displaced 64 people.

Investigators say the fire started outside of 131-133 Bennington Street near a side entrance to the building where a resident had been smoking earlier in the day. The fire quickly moved up the exterior of the building and around to the back.

Damages are estimated to be more than $1 million.

Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion. No one was seriously hurt.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s