Women Plan ‘Yoga Pants Parade’ To Protest Man’s Letter To The Editor

BARRINGTON, R.I. (CBS) – A group of Rhode Island residents is planning a “yoga pants parade” in response to a man’s letter to the editor that said “yoga pants belong in the yoga studio.”

A resident named Alan Sorrentino wrote a letter that was published in the Barrington Times called “Please, women, put away the yoga pants.”

In the letter, Sorrentino writes that “not since the mini-skirt has there been something worn by so many women that should never have it on in the first place.”

A letter to the editor about yoga pants sent to the Barrington Times in Rhode Island. (WPRI Photo)

Sorrentino says that yoga pants can be “adorable” on children and young women who “have the benefit of nature’s blessing of youth.”

But he adds that “on mature, adult women there is something bizarre and disturbing about the appearance they make in public.”

In response to the letter, a Facebook event has been created called a “Yoga Pants Parade.”

During the event, scheduled for Sunday from 2-3 p.m., women are asked to walk down Knapton Street wearing their yoga pants.

As of Friday morning, 155 people have committed to attending the “Yoga Pants Parade” and another 372 are interested.

Comments

1. Reason says:

Maybe Alan would prefer if women wore burkas! Alan, let individual fashion rein.

2. ******* says:

i always felt they for ot to put their outdoor pants/skirt on–reminds me of long underwear…and yes i’ll probably be seeing that next as the next fashion line statement. Can’t wait for when the ‘fashion rein’ returns to sophistication and classy.

and no i don’t prefer burkas…

1. ******* says:

ps-i thank Mr Alan for “respectfully” stating his comment/opinion..isn’t freedom of polite speech wonderful!! and preferred.

3. KL says:

Yoga pants parade? Really? It’s sad that these women have nothing better to do but throw a hissy fit at one man’s opinion – further evidence that they need to grow up.

4. yomama says:

I love Yoga pants on women of any age. It’s the second best fashion invention after the thong. However, I see his comment more along the lines of ‘take a look into the mirror before you leave the house’ regardless of the type of outfit. Depending on your size and shape and this applies to male and female, there are certain clothes that will make you look ridiculous. If you’re carrying an extra 50 lbs or more, yoga pants for the ladies and skin tight Under Armour T-shirts for the guys are probably not a good choice. Same holds for any outfit that exposes your waistline.

It’s really just common sense, which unfortunately not everybody seems to have.

5. Sha says:

Being judgmental and making generalizations is more offensive than yoga pants to me.

6. i'm right says:

Why can’t anyone just MYOFB anymore?

7. Hal Jacobs PGA says:

Man has a point. Fat people shouldn’t wear it, no more than fat people (women) wearing a bikini at the beach. Truth hurts. Deal.

8. Hal Jacobs PGA says:

Especially when women try and cram 10 pounds of junk in a 5 pound bag.

9. Tom says:

Anyone else think it’s frikkin creepy as heck that this guy thinks yoga pants and miniskirts look good on little girls?!? Pervert!

1. luke says:

Hey beauty. he is talking about age appropriate clothing.

10. mstarvin says:

Long live the camel toe!!!

11. Jeremy Smith says:

Women (and men) who are overweight and insist on wearing tight clothing are disgusting to look at. Wear that stuff at home and wear more flattering clothing that don’t revolt us.

12. Louis Fernandez says:

I fully support Yoga pants in all public environments.

13. Bob says:

So, a guy says if you’re old, fat and/or nasty you shouldn’t wear yoga pants in a letter to the editor, and somebody found 150 stupid women who got upset about it? And they convinced the morons to have a parade? lol.

Sorry ladies, no ones obligated to pretend you’re attractive if you aren’t. Diet, exercise, and age appropriate attire are all your friends.

14. Jason says:

The man’s entitled to his opinion just like you are entitled to wear yoga pants. Difference between him and you ladies is, he didn’t go to your homes telling you that you shouldn’t, but you feel the need to go to his. Why? Didn’t like what he said? Too bad. Doesn’t give you the right to bother him at his residence. Write a retort if it bothers you. Grow up, ladies.

15. Many people including overweight men wear shorts and pants down to their crack…who cares? If you have the time to worry about this nonsense, you have a lot of free time! Maybe time to volunteer in a soup kitchen?

16. gracie says:

Why can’t the man have an opinion?….I think he is really talking about the skin tight leggings and not Yoga Pants. And truly I see a lot of women who shouldn’t be wearing them. I see skin tight white pants on overweight women and no underwear. It’s just truly gross. These women are stirring up a storm and making RI look ridiculous.

17. Jim McGaw says:

So you ran a photograph of the letter from one of our newspapers. How about providing the link instead? Help a smalltown newspaper out, will ya? We need clicks, too!

18. luke says:

Alan is completely correct in his observations. It is about self respect and dignity. Do any of these folks have mirrors? Many look like over stuffed potato sacks. I don’t know what would be scarier, seeing a clown running around or something that looked like a walking water balloon.

19. Angela says:

I had to go to a school meeting with my husband at a large local public high school recently. After the meeting, I asked my husband if there was some kind of dress code. All of the students we saw between classes were dressed very nicely. They had on regular pants or jeans and sweaters or nice sweatshirts. They were also very nice and polite, saying “Hi” or “Good Morning” to us before we said anything. Afterwards, I told my husband that we have to make sure our son is always dressed nicely, which he usually is and not in sweatpants. No more suspense…it was East Providence High School. At one time, it was the largest high school in the state.

20. Robert Masters says:

As a mature male, I think ANY female wearing “Yoga pants ” is naturally ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I NEVER HAVE & NEVER WILL – EVER have a problem with if a woman decides she wants to wear them. I think this WHOLE NONISSUE ” problem” some people have with it are INSANE. & need to seek PROFESSIONAL HELP. So girls, please KEEP WEARING THEM. You are ALL BEAUTIFUL – NO MATTER WHAT anyone says to the contrary.

1. Jason says:

Stop the b.s., Robert and open your eyes. God, you make me want to puke with that post. No one looks good when stuffing 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag, EVER.

21. Nikki says:

Well I did wear yoga pants once when I went out to the mall, but gosh the stares I got for most of the men made me feel like a peace of meat, even though I am not fat but am bigger below the waist. Post that, I stopped wearing yoga pants in public and stuck to my jeans and jeggings. I left the yoga pants for yoga workouts only