Keller @ Large: My Nobel Prize Recommendations

BOSTON (CBS) – Congratulations to Bob Dylan for winning the Nobel Prize in Literature, I guess. He is a great songwriter, although his work reads more like poetry than literature.

And now that this precedent has been set, there’s the predictable avalanche of advocacy for other accomplished songwriters, like Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and Bruce Springsteen to get their turn.

That’s fine with me, in part because the Nobel Prize has seemed pretty meaningless since President Obama won it in 2009 for his accomplishments in…well, actually, doing nothing, at least not at the time he won.

But if we’re going to start handing out Nobels to pop culture icons, let’s not stick with the usual suspects.

I see no reason why David Ortiz shouldn’t get a Nobel for his literary effort to rally Bostonians with his impromptu remarks after the Marathon Bombing. He expressed our love for our city in a way that was as profound as it was blunt.

They don’t do it anymore but forty years ago someone could win a Nobel posthumously. If they reinstated that rule, I would nominate Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell for the Nobel in Chemistry, based on any number of duets.

With winter coming, I suspect many New Englanders would join me in endorsing Tennessee’s own Jack Daniels for the Nobel in Medicine. And for the economics prize, I can’t imagine anyone more deserving that the person who invented that little tab on your coffee cup that closes to keep it warm, whoever it is.

The economy would grind to a halt if our coffee kept getting cold on us.  Don’t you agree?

Know what? Suddenly, the Nobel Prizes are relevant again.

If Mother Nature will give us another winter as mild as last one, I’d nominate her for all of them.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller

1. mstarvin says:

What a STUPID article! Just sayin’.

2. Ovid says:

“He is a great songwriter, although his work reads more like poetry than literature …”

FFFFwwwwwhat??? Poetry isn’t literature?? Since when???

(And, by the way, song lyrics are often poems. Nothing unusual about it.)

Stick to something you know about like … well … driving in the snow (slow down!), I guess

3. The Owl says:

I have to agree with your assessment, Jon, of the diminution of relevance of the Nobel prizes since the award was made to Barack Obama.

Perhaps, the time has come to them to go, just as the Olympic Games have forgotten their mission.

The Nobel Committee could take their many millions of dollars and fund an effort to find a sustainable way to eliminate hunger and poverty in this world.

For all of you complaining about the 0.01% paying their fair share, I would suggest that the Nobel Committee sits withing the top 0.000001% in the world, and their goal has turned to handing out a million dollars a pop to other elites of the world.

1. mstarvin says:

What an idiotic posting.

4. mikey says:

Why is a Nobel Prize awarded in economics? Forget the charts and graphs, everyone knows how the economy works – it’s a screwing contest.

1. Adam Smith says:

The “Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics” isn’t really a Nobel Prize (the series of prizes that were established by Alfred Nobel’s will). It does carry quite a bit of prestige, however.

1. mikey says:

Thank you for posting.

Noted economists Robert and Anita Summers who had a summer place in my area were long time customers of mine. Wonderful folks who I miss a lot.

I used to kid Mr. Summers about how I thought the economy worked – which left us both laughing. Mrs. Summers would always have a cup of coffee and a treat waiting for me upon arrival, just a lovely lady.