BOSTON (CBS) — The Big Bang Clock is back on Toucher & Rich.
Former Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather joined 98.5 The Sports Hub on Wednesday for the first of his new weekly interview, and his first request was to hear Fred’s impression of him. He wasn’t very impressed, letting Fred know he needs to add a little more swag.
But after the fun and games, Meriweather opened up about his time with Bill Belichick, saying he had a special relationship with the head coach.
“I loved it. I love Bill. Everyone don’t understand Bill. When you play for him you get to see his personality and all the things that make Bill great. Those are the things the media doesn’t get to see,” said Meriweather, who spent four seasons in New England after being drafted in the first round in 2007. “I loved playing for the Patriots.
“I was one of the people who, me and Bill had our own private meetings twice a week. I had a lot of contact with Bill; I was one of the lucky ones who got to learn directly from him,” he added.
Belichick is famous for throwing out pop quizzes to his players, something Meriweather was always prepared for.
“That wasn’t bad for me, because I was always on of the guys who actually studied. I knew our opponent and everything about them. Bill makes sure his team is one of the best prepared teams in the league.”
Some players weren’t as lucky, but the quizzes caught everyone off guard at least once.
“I think everybody failed a quiz once or twice. Everybody,” he said. “We usually helped each other. There is always someone there to help you or whisper in your year.”
And it doesn’t matter if you are a superstar quarterback or on the practice squad, Belichick would hold you accountable and wasn’t afraid to call you out in front of everyone.
“Bill don’t hold no punches back, and that’s what makes him him,” said Meriweather. “He doesn’t only coach the second-string hard, it was everybody. That goes from Tom [Brady] to Matthew Slater. From No.1 on the depth chart to No. 70, he would coach everybody the same.”
Meriweather went on to talk about how things were inside the New England locker room, which was much different from his other stops in the NFL.
“In Chicago, no coaches were allowed in the locker room, period. The head coach couldn’t walk through. The Patriots, you might be in there and Mr. Kraft might walk through. You can tell just from the locker room if you’re going to be good or not,” he said.
Toucher & Rich also started a new segment, hitting Meriweather with five questions:
1. What’s the scariest movie you’ve ever seen: “I don’t get scared too often, so probably something like Friday The 13th.”
2. What are you dressing up as this Halloween? “Toucher & Rich. One of you guys.”
3. What was on the CD Bill Belichick once gave you? “A little bit of everything. Pretty much country music, or something like that. Tim McGraw. (As a quick follow up, Fred asked how long Meriweather kept it until he threw it away? He said he still has it, but admits he’s never played it.)
4. Most famous guy you’re friends with? “I don’t consider none of my friends famous. Odell [Beckham Jr.], probably.”
5. In light of the Martellus Bennett calling out his former Bears teammates, who was the biggest “bitch” you played with? “I can’t say that. Nah, I can’t say that.”