Keller @ Large: Election Anxiety? Don’t Worry, Be Happy

BOSTON (CBS) – Is this election sending your anxiety level through the roof?

Join the club.

Polling in recent weeks has found solid majorities of voters find the prospect of a President Clinton or a President Trump frightening.

And I want to share a portion of an email I received from a WBZ-TV viewer expressing that anxiety. John M. writes:

“I am a middle-class resident of Massachusetts who is extremely concerned about the political future of this country. None of these candidates should be allowed to be in office. They are an embarrassment. I find myself thinking: where is the country going to be in four years? I am afraid.”

John, I understand how you feel. But let’s look on the bright side. Here are some reasons why you shouldn’t be too worried about what happens after the new president takes office.

Keep in mind that we have been governed pretty effectively for the past 240 years by a system of checks and balances, and that will not change come next January.

Consider the Supreme Court, already down a member and likely to see more vacancies in the next four years. The Senate holds confirmation power over presidential appointees, and they haven’t been afraid to use it in the past. And even justices purported to be liberal or conservative have proven to be open-minded on the bench.

And just look at how divided both parties have proven to be during this campaign. Even if one party holds the White House and Congressional majorities, the chances of lockstep movement in a dangerous direction is minimal.

So don’t worry, John, be happy.

And if you can’t be happy, at least keep the faith.

More from Jon Keller

1. Sy Clops says:

It is interesting to watch a candidate implode with his supporters abandoning him like rats from a ship. The rise and fall of a buffoon.

And what next for the already badly fractured Republican party?

1. mstarvin says:

Just keep clicking your heels Dorothy and repeating that mantra…you posted the same thing in three other columns…You must just cut and paste it hoping somebody likes it…sad really.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Sy, I see a party imploding. Most of us have known for years that it would eventually. I suppose that could be a positive for Trump??? I do not see Trump imploding. He was correct when he said he could shoot someone and not lose his supporters. They hang tough for some reason I will never, ever understand. As my mom used to say – they could not say sheet if they had a mouth full of it.

2. mikey says:

Regardless of who wins the presidential election – don’t be afraid. I’m willing to bet the national debt will continue to rocket further into fiscal oblivion along with Congress being bound up like a little kid who just downed a couple peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
    See – nothing scary there.

Oh, and when diving into my bowl of Raisin Bran this morning while watching the BZ morning show – I could have done without the close-up shot of the goose poop. Just sayin’.

1. mstarvin says:

“…I could have done without the close-up shot of the goose poop … ”

Well, it is hard to air a segment on Trump without showing him…

3. paul dowd says:

Even though the contest is basically over we are all going to have to suffer through Trump’s crash and burn phase. He won’t go away quietly. He will finish up the campaign with scorched-earth tactics, throwing a steady diet of red meat at his dwindling base of deplorable know-nothings. He has no intention of trying to win. He only wants to maximize the damage he can heap on the next president to weaken and delegitimize her presidency and punish the country for rejecting him and throwing him into the loser bin.

4. bees_knees_6 says:

I literally shake my head when I see people believe that Trump has lost. If he does, I agree with Rowdy. However, it is far from over. My best guess is there will be more released from Assange re Hillary and more re Trump. Nope, it ain’t pretty and it is far from over. As far as checks and balances, with the crew we have in congress……………really, Jon, is that supposed to make us feel better??

1. mstarvin says:

Wikileaks may yet be her downfall. I wonder how her supporters stand by her?? She isn’t just talking dirty she is dealing worldwide corruption for cash.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Now turn your head to the right…….can you do that?

2. mstarvin says:

Is there a pun in there somewhere?? Maybe you need to hit the CAPSLOCK key so we can tell you you are looning out and trying to make some real point??

3. bees_knees_6 says:

Time is wasted on you, MO. The point is that we have poor choices on both sides….only an idiot actually thinks Trump isn’t a problem.

4. mstarvin says:

Yes he is a real problem…for Hillary. To quote the Harpy…”Why aren’t I up by 50 points??”

2. The Owl says:

This election, Bees, like many before it, will hinge on turnout.

A large turnout will likely favor Trump; a small turnout will likely favor Clinton.

The enthusiasm gap is real. And unless Clinton can somehow counter the constant drip of her ill-considered statements and the ill-advised remarks of her campaign officials, it is likely that a half-a-basket or so of so-called Clinton supporters will elect to stay home.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Your opinion, Owl, then is that no matter what Trump says or does, his supporters will continue to back him. However, if those who are considering Hillary see more that is not favorable, they will not vote. Tells you which side has the morals then, doesn’t it…to your left. And you can twist that all you want, which you undoubtedly will, but you said it. You own it.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

BTW, Owl, I agree with you. Trump supporters do not struggle one bit with his bigotry and racism. Those who are considering a vote for Clinton, in large numbers, will do so because they recognize there may be two evils but that one is so far worse than the other it will be a vote not for Clinton but to keep Trump out. It is morally difficult for those individuals whereas there seems to be no moral struggle among Trump supporters.

3. mstarvin says:

The issue is that the lefties don’t think Hillary will give them enough free stuff so they will stay home. Those on the right are tired of paying for the lefts freebies so they will show no matter what… Get it now??

4. The Owl says:

My remarks, Bees, are based on my long education in history and politics. It was merely a statement as to the likely “draw” on election day.

High turnout favors Trump. Low turnout favors Clinton. But, beware, the turnout may well be far more than you lefties may wan or hope for.

The drip, drip, drip of “business as usual” with Clinton, Inc. will likely suppress the turnout in some of the more liberal areas.

But, hey, there is only one person responsible for the foul water that fuels the drips.

5. bees_knees_6 says:

Owl…. it is fact a moral choice. I am not a fan of Beck’s or of many who are refusing to support Trump. However, no one can question their moral fiber. They are supporting country and not party. As I have said, the one and only thing Trump might accomplish is bringing the republican party back on track.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

It will be interesting to see if the Trump supporters can do the same.

1. mstarvin says:

Bees you are blinded by your own false morals. You berate Trump supporters yet ignore the terrible things Hillary has done and is doing. Check out her emails from wikileaks…She sent an email to Obama stating that Saudi Arabia was funding ISIS but magically after they gave $25 million to the Clinton Foundation she claims in another email that she was mistaken. Trump may be crude but her won’t sell this country out…Hillary has shown that she is more then willing to sell us out and already has.

6. American says: