Weather Alert: Tropical Storm Warning For Cape Cod & Islands| Forecast | BlogRadar | Weather App

Keller @ Large: Not All Political Correctness Is Bad

BOSTON (CBS) – If you catch this segment regularly you may know that I’m not a big fan of political correctness, or the self-appointed PC police who try to enforce it.

Freedom of speech is a precious right, and a key part of being an American. Efforts to suppress that right or intimidate its exercise by those who would impose their politics and taste on others ought to be called out and shunned.

And there are plenty of people who agree with me, as Donald Trump has demonstrated by expertly exploiting backlash to political correctness in his campaign.

But not all political correctness is bad.

I am glad that things which were commonplace when I was a kid – the casual use of ethnic slurs, for instance – are no longer considered acceptable in polite society.

And that’s the line Fox News crossed Monday night when they aired a vulgar segment reveling in ignorant stereotypes about Asian-Americans, with heavily edited man-in-the-street interviews belittling people in New York’s Chinatown.

As the president of the Asian American Journalists Association put it, “the segment was rife with racist stereotypes, drew on thoughtless tropes and openly ridiculed Asian Americans,” under the guise of sampling their views on the presidential race, which might have actually been interesting to learn about.

After his juvenile, unamusing report, the reporter laughed about it on the set with Bill O’Reilly, and as of Wednesday night the only thing approaching an apology was an unapologetic expression of “regret” if “anyone found offense.”

Know what?

Even I took offense at it, and I’m not especially politically correct.

Unless, as in this case, political correctness is necessary.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. FireGuyFrank says:

Jon, are you not familiar with the “Watter’s World” segment? They are always highly edited and very much tongue in cheek. For those who did not see it and wish to decide for themselves, here is the link that includes the follow up discussion as it aired: http://video.foxnews.com/v/5154040766001/watters-world-chinatown-edition/?#sp=show-clips

I tend to agree, Jon, that we are overly PC, and we ought to use care where we tread. As with anything, one item is insufficient to prove anything. I suggest folks view many segments before deciding what goes beyond the bounds of propriety and good taste.

2. mstarvin says:

The segment was obviously comedy, if Jon didn’t comprehend that…well I am not surprised.

3. The Owl says:

It would seem to me that the majority of Hillary’s supporters can be found in her “basket of depllorabables.

1. Chris Christie's Belt says:

Did you get that from Trump’s speechwriter? Real original Cletus.

1. The Owl says:

Sorry…you’re not Chrissie’s belt, your not even his broken shoe lace.

I notice that you failed to address the issue raised, Is it because the answer hurts or that you just plain don’t have a clue.

I suspect it’s a touch of both.

4. Paull Cudak says:

KELLER ARE YOU SERIOUS? LISTEN TO THE RADIO! ALL YOU HEAR ON ETHNIC RADIO STAIONS IS N**GER THIS, NI**ER THAT!
    WHERE IS POLITE SOCIETY IN THE INNER CITY? WHERE IN GHETTOLAND, WHERE?
    WHERE THE F HAVE YOU BEEN?

1. The Owl says:

“WHERE THE F HAVE YOU BEEN?”

That’s not usually heard in “polite society, Mr. Cudak, either !

5. Chris Christie's Belt says:

Most political correctness is good, unless you are a racist uneducated tool.

1. mstarvin says:

Those who think political correctness is good are suffering from white guilt and a bad case of liberalism which can be cured by getting a job.

6. mikey says:

People should mind their own business. A few years ago while pumping some 93 octane gas into my 22′ antique car, the guy on the other side of the pump who was putting a smidgeon of gas into car which was the size of a wastebasket started give me whatever about the huge crbon footprint my car was leaving.

1. mikey says:

Man – this website has a mind of its own – it twitches every which way.
      Anyway – I told him his little do-do-box was leaving a larger carbon foot print given that I only drive my barge about a hundred miles per year. He went nuts when i said: “At least I won’t be killed if I run into a June bug.” And off he went.