Keller @ Large: Don’t Pardon The Interruptions

BOSTON (CBS) – Did you stay up to watch the vice-presidential debate Tuesday night?

If you didn’t, I could give you the full flavor of it if I had someone here interrupting me every five seconds, followed by me interrupting them, until any sane onlooker is bolting from the room in search of extra-strength headache medication.

Doesn’t that sound like fun?

I expect that quickie polls and focus groups will give an edge to Mike Pence. He was smoother than Tim Kaine, who took the prize for most aggressive interruptions, and delivered superior mournful head-shaking.

But for many of the all-important undecided voters, I suspect, this was like planting them in a chair between two TVs, one blaring a Trump rally and the other blaring Clinton.

These VP debates never have much real impact on the presidential race, and this one was likely no exception.

But perhaps it did serve a purpose that might linger long after this debate is completely forgotten, which will probably be Thursday.

Maybe what happened will persuade some of the reflexive interrupters among us to reassess their nasty habit. When you constantly interrupt, you convey contempt for the interruptee, along with almost-certainly unwarranted arrogance about the importance and substance of your own thoughts.

Kaine was worse, but both men did themselves no favors with their failure to listen, as well as telegraphing disrespect for the moderator and, ultimately, the viewers.

I’d call for an end to that kind of thing, if I thought anyone was listening instead of planning their next interruption.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller

1. hammerhead says:

whoa now Jon Pence is the republican shouldn’t you be championing the lib democrat?

2. Lance says:

Pence won that debate hands down,Mr Kaine acted like a jerk.I think this debate will give Trump the boost he needs to going into sunday night.Let us pray for America! Trump Trump And More Trump!

1. The Owl says:

Kaine is a jerk. He’s proven that time and again.

Pence, however, is not far behind.

3. mikey says:

The presidential race? A lost cause. To quote Rhett Butler: “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

4. mstarvin says:

Funny how the moderator let Kaine drive the off topic talk without stopping him but as soon as Pence brought up Hillary’s email servers she jumped right in to change the subject…..It was two on one and Pence still won..

5. John says:

Constant interruptions were a big problem during the Presidential debate as well. I would like to have the moderator be able to mute the mike of the one who is not speaking.
    One at a time please

6. bees_knees_6 says:

I watched enough to be irritated and switched to something less childish. In the part that I watched, Pence was far better than Kaine. Trump might want to consider taking some lessons from Pence as he is also far and away better than Trump.

1. mstarvin says:

Maybe they should flip the ticket…Pence/Trump…

1. Concerned American says:

If only… that would be far preferable.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

When you, CA and I all agree (assuming you were being serious), it would be a good sign that there is truth to the comment.

3. mstarvin says:

I am sure the Democrats feel the same…Hillary is unlikable. She is the Federal version of Martha Coakley.

2. Jock Stevens says:

Apparently something mysterious happened and I can comment without joining an account I don’t want to join. Hope all is well, BK. Pence is the only one standing with an iota of class. What an absolute disaster. Reflects the sorry state of our country.

1. The Owl says:

It’s ironic, Jocko, that the only one with a touch of class is a conservative.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Hi and how are you. Great to see you here. How is your friend in NH???

Owl, it is not the least bit ironic. You see ….your problem is that you do not realize that many of us understand there are good and bad on both sides of the aisle. We are not foolish enough to point fingers and label all conservatives or all liberals. If you have trouble recalling, JS is one of those individuals. I also vote both parties but it suits your purpose to label me….

It is the folks who sadly believe that only one side of the aisle has all of the answers that are the problem with this country.