Binge-Drinking UMass Student Nearly Dies In State College, Pennsylvania

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — A University of Massachusetts student nearly died of alcohol poisoning in central Pennsylvania after police say he drank so much vodka his blood-alcohol content was more than six times the state’s legal limit for drivers.

State College police say the 19-year-old man was found unconscious in an alley Saturday night with a blood-alcohol level of 0.49 percent, which is usually fatal.

The borough is home to Penn State University’s main campus, but police say the student was from out of state. They haven’t released his name.

The student was placed on a ventilator at Mount Nittany Medical Center after he stopped breathing, but has improved and is expected to make a full recovery.

The police department says it “continues to educate students and other community residents about alcohol related laws.”

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live