Keller @ Large: Not So Optimistic After Clinton-Trump Debate

BOSTON (CBS) – If I had a buck for every time someone has approached me during this campaign to complain about the poor quality of the major-party nominees, I might be able to afford Red Sox playoff tickets.

And my sunny, optimistic personality has always compelled me to reassure folks upset with the choice. Whoever wins will grow in the job, I say. Our country is strong, our system is sound, we will find a way to make it all work out.

Well, after Monday night, I’m not so sure anymore.

Watch: First Presidential Debate

Hillary Clinton may have finally gotten her answer down on the whole e-mail fiasco – I made a mistake, I’m sorry, I learned from it, it won’t happen again. End of story.

But her explanation at the debate of her cravenly-political flip-flop on the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal was totally self-serving. She sounded naïve defending the sketchy Iran nuclear deal.

And for her to cite her testimony on the Benghazi disaster as a sign of strength was astonishingly tone deaf to the incompetence that affair exposed.

But at least Clinton sounded like a grownup.

Donald Trump put on a convincing impression of a cranky nine-year-old, stumbling all over himself with his laughable explanations for hiding his tax returns, for his dubious business practices, for his promotion of the foolish birther smears.

Does he really think we care about his thrilling triumph in an insult war with Rosie O’Donnell?

These two have their merits; Monday night, she showcased more of hers than he did.

But two more debates like this and I’m going to have to start telling my dismayed friends that they may not be dismayed enough.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller

1. Bengals2 says:

You lost almost everyone at the point of ‘occupdemocrats”.

1. Bengals2 says:

The constant expanding and collapsing of ads on this site are brutally annoying.

2. Concerned American says:

Exactly. There might not be a more obtuse group of people than those folks.

3. bees_knees_6 says:

I clearly lost those without the intelligence to know it was Dan Rather who made the comments and they had nothing to do with OD. Darn but you are pathetically predictable.

2. jerry2286 says:

Dan Rather has had no credibility since he tried to pass off that giant lie about President Bush in 2004.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

I guarantee he’d have credibility if he had said this about a democrat.

Although, I do not notice that I said he did or did not have credibility. I simply posted a link.

3. The Owl says:

Sorry, Bess…Dan Rather is a rather poor choice to use as someone that is “credible”.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Owl, it is clear you jumped into this pile of manure with both feet.

2. The Owl says:

I enjoy pushing you deeper in the pile when you’ve tried to make a nest there.

3. bees_knees_6 says:

Aren’t you silly. You are stating the obvious, Owl. Of course you enjoy pushing anyone down who doesn’t fall in line and agree with you. It has never been a mystery to me why you have so much trouble criticizing Trump. After all, you epitomize Trump. You are also an example of not only why I believe he will win but also why he is supported by some whom I consider to be fairly intelligent.

1. Send in the clowns - they're already here says:

The world is no longer laughing at us – it’s howling. Jiminy crickets!

2. mstarvin says:

I am willing to bet that if Trump wins Iran won’t be buzzing our ships in International waters any longer……

1. retardlicons says:

You will be speaking Russian and bending over for Putin’s sloppy seconds after he finishes off in Trump.

1. mstarvin says:

Oh look one of those tolerant liberals old Fauxcohontis loves. Better Russia than beheaded by an Islamic terrorist…

3. jerry2286 says:

Poor Jon is just upset that Hillary got her saggy, wrinkled, sick, tired, old a$$ handed to her.

1. Welfare Jerry republican leech. says:

Trump got demolished welfare Jerry, like your wife in the Knicks locker room.

4. Sy Clops says:

I mostly saw a debate (not really the right word) between an adult and a petulant child.

5. The Owl says:

It was a great football game on ESPN,

6. drwatson says:

The MSM anoints HRC the winner yet all the online polls have DT winning. This is the establishment vote vs the people’s vote and the people have the numbers this time around. HRC has been in the establishment for over 20 years and too much of her time has to be spent dispelling self inflicted corruption and lies. The majority is done with her, time for a new direction. It doesn’t matter how many Dan Rathers the DNC pulls out of the closet she’s done put a fork in her.

7. John Dabrowski says:

Keller, you’re such sleazebag – acknowledging Hillary’s better performance, yet subtly trying to create a false equivalency between Trump’s totally incompetent performance and Hillary’s competent one by claiming that they were both so bad that your dismayed friends should be more dismayed. Give up, you libertarian phony. We can see right through you.

8. mstarvin says:

The best whack of the night was when Trump asked Clinton why if her email server was just a mistake why have all her aids pleaded the fifth…….you could hear the crickets and her deer in the headlights look was priceless…..what no explanation Hillary??

9. kek says:

Remember only the CNN poll matters

Debate Polls: Trump won Twitter: Trump 62% Clinton 38% Trump won Meet the Press: Trump 62% Clinton 38% Trump won Trump 54.98% Clinton 39.21% Trump won Time Poll: Trump 58% Clinton 42% Trump won : Trump 54% Clinton 46% Trump won The Hill: Trump 51% Clinton 44% Trump won Fox: Trump 61% Clinton 33.69% Trump won Drudge Report: Trump 82.01% Clinton 17.99% Trump won CNBC Poll: Trump 51% Clinton 49% Trump won Breitbart: Trump 75.96 Clinton 24.04% Trump won WCPO Cincinnati: Trump 60% Clinton 35% Trump won San Diego Union Tribune Poll: Trump 66% Clinton 34% Trump won News 2 Nashville: Trump 63.23% Clinton 36.77% Trump won LA Times: Trump 46% Clinton 43% Trump won Rasmussen Report: Trump 44% Clinton 39% Trump won Worldwide Poll: Trump 75% Clinton 25% Trump won Slate: Trump 54.30% Clinton 45.70% Trump won Las Vegas Sun Poll: 81% Clinton 22% Trump won Washington Times Poll: 71% Clinton 22% Trump won Variety Poll: Trump 51.47% Clinton 48.53%

1. Justa Fax says:

“… on Tuesday, Trump even cited a poll that did not exist. “I won CBS,” he said on “Fox & Friends.”

CBS correspondent Major Garrett took to Twitter to clarify: “We did not conduct a post-debate poll.”

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Now please go back and cite every one of those. I could not find first two I searched and they didn’t exist.

Of course that doesn’t much matter to a Trump supporter reading them now does it?

1. mstarvin says:

Typical liberal…too lazy to do your own research…lol.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

MO – typical individual who suffers with reading comprehension. Note I said I had checked a couple and they didn’t exist. However, it is up to the presenter to cite. Most of us who have higher education learned then when presenting papers. Rarely did the professor do the leg work. Or are you scared of the results?

3. mstarvin says:

LOL not absolutely amused by your laziness….I checked a few and couldn’t find them….lol…..must mean they aren’t true even though CBS had news stories about how the only poll Clinton won was CNN and it was skewed and the polling was shutdown prematurely…

1. mstarvin says:

Lol more like Insider Trading. This is a very anti-Trump site run by a convicted felon:

CEO and Editor-In-Chief Henry Blodget is a Yale history graduate who had worked on Wall Street until he was charged with securities fraud in 2003. He agreed to a permanent ban from the securities industry, payment of a $2 million fine, and disgorgement of $2 million.

Your sources are so laughable that one has to wonder if you are even trying…