DEVELOPING STORY: 1 Dead, Dozens Hurt In NJ Commuter Train Crash | Read More | Watch CBS News Live

Keller @ Large: We Need To Stop Lone Wolf Terrorists

BOSTON (CBS) – I’ve been reading up on the suspect in the New York/New Jersey terror bombings, and I doubt anyone will accuse me of political correctness when I say I am thoroughly unimpressed.

He’s still a clown, but Mr. Nice Guy is apparently no more.

The parallels with the two Boston Marathon murderers are creepy.

Like them, he had a normal background, with working parents and the resources to go to college – not to mention those expensive plane tickets to Afghanistan.

And he was a naturalized citizen, meaning he had completed a lengthy process that included background checks, face-to-face interviews, a citizenship test and an oath of allegiance.

And here he is, alleged author of a vile, failed plot to slaughter innocent bystanders, a vicious clown with no more of an escape plan than the two Boston idiots had, unless you consider sleeping it off in a doorway a clever getaway scheme.

Chances are we will learn that others saw his radicalization, or psychological breakdown, whatever it turns out to be, but never dreamed he’d take it this far. And that is the problem with the lone wolf terrorists who plague us now.

So if you want to feel safer, it might be a good idea to ask yourself this question before you vote – which candidates are talking sense about intelligence-gathering, and which are not?

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. mstarvin says:

Ask yourself this. Who’s approach has allowed this and who’s did not?? Bush did not allow this Obama not only has allowed it he ignores it and plays golf. If we want to become like Europe and have weekly attacks like this then vote for Hillary. If you want this to end and very quickly vote for Trump.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Nope, Bush didn’t allow any attacks under his watch.

As far as becoming like Europe. And again. The Muslim population in France has been ostracized for decades. When a group is disenfranchised, it falls prey to other groups….such as ISIS. Those groups know how to prey on them. It is how cults work. France made its bed and it knows it. Now it will have to do double duty to undo it. I’m not a fan of making the same bed that France made which is exactly what Trump promotes.

1. mstarvin says:

So what is your apologetic excuse for Germany or England?? In our current state in the US I am disenfranchised, I am white and support the military and the police which under Obama makes me a racist monster….I haven’t felt any need to try to injure any innocent people….

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Rather than actually understand facts, you keep tossing diversions. The FACT is that France has isolated Muslims. The FACT is that the outcome is forcing them to find allegiance elsewhere. The FACT is that this is exactly what Trump proposes. Stop dancing around the facts and understand that isolation and exclusion creates pockets that can be appealed to by extremists, not to mention playing into the hands of those who want to stress that America hates all Muslims.

3. bees_knees_6 says:

MO – I am also white and support the military and I support all men and women in blue. Many on the left IMHO are hypocritical when it comes to our police and I agree Obama has made it worse. I also do not agree with Hillary’s view. Doesn’t make me a racist as far as I can see….nor does it make you a racist. Makes me respect the uniform and the people who wear it although I’m not foolish enough that I do not know there are exceptions. Bottom line, if you are told to put your hands in the air, you stop and do so. You do not reach into your pocket, behind your back or into your car. Simple really. However, I’m not sure how your comment relates.

4. The Owl says:

“. The FACT is that France has isolated Muslims.”

No, Bees, that is NOT the fact. The Muslims in France, as in many other European countries with significant Muslim populations, have isolated themselves. They have chosen to live in Muslim enclaves, retaining…to the exclusions of all other…their Muslim customs and cultures, and have no significant effort to become “French”.

That is at the crux of Europe’s current travails with their Muslim populations.

5. bees_knees_6 says:

Wrong but then I am going by both French citizens and family who lived in France for years. It is, however, a convenient way to support Trump but will have deadly consequences. And you are intelligent enough to know that once we turn on Muslims, there will in fact be targets on the back of every American living abroad. Trump already played a huge part in that with his ransom comments so has shown he could care less.

6. mstarvin says:

Spoken like a real left winger who has never been to France…never mind live there. Blame the French because terrorists want to kill them….typical liberal blame the victim mentality….

2. FaxMaam says:

“Bush did not allow this …”

Unless you count: the “shoe bomber”. the anthrax scare, the DC sniper, UNC Chapel Hill, El Al ticket counter at Los Angeles, and …, oh yeah, that little incident involving planes in NYC and the Pentagon.

But you may be too young to remember these.

1. The Owl says:

As I recall, in those instance listed as being under Bush, none of the perpetrators were screaming praises to Allah.

They were just lunatics bent on murder.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Owl? Really? They were not radicalized? Again….really??? Oxygen too thin again up there on that branch?

2. Sy Clops says:

“The only way I can think of to stop them is enlist their friends and neighbors as vigilant informants, tipping off the cops when their behavior becomes alarming.”

“Some of his long-ago high school classmates say they can’t believe it, he was always such a nice guy; “class clown,” one called him.”

Jon, don’t you see the problem with your suggestion?

3. bees_knees_6 says:

Jon, we need to stop all terrorists. Lone wolves may be the most difficult to stop….and close to impossible. It is important to remember that this is hardly the first lone wolf and will certainly not be the last. In my opinion, the lone wolves typically fly under the wire because of the simple fact that they are on their own. In this case, see something say something made a huge difference.

I’d love to have someone point out – on either side – how he or she feels that either candidate can stop and has given a logical solution to stop the one offs.

1. Bear Walker says:

Hi Bees; Well, for one thing, this guy seemed to go back to his “homeland” for periods at a time. Heck the Tsarnev’s did the same. No one in gov’t questioned why a “refugee” who “escaped the horrors at home” would willingly go back and forth? Kind of puts into question the refugee status, doesn’t it? Maybe one of our bureaucratic nightmares could get their act together? Once again the failure lies with the lackeys in our own government.

People that overstay student and employment visa’s should be hauled in and shipped back, or given the chance to re apply.

The DHS just granted citizenship to 800 people that shouldn’t even be here. What could go wrong?

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Bear, each time he left the U.S. to travel abroad….which he did to other countries as well as his home in Afghanistan….he was questioned extensively. That is protocol. As far as questioning why, his wife was in Afghanistan along with other relatives. He was working to get his wife here. She became pregnant and then was not allowed to leave until she had the baby. He did not overstay anything. He was naturalized. My father in law was naturalized and worked out of the country most of his adult life, including in Rome during the Red Brigaide. Should he have not been allowed to return to the United States? Should my husband and his siblings and mother in law have been suspect.

When we start stopping people from return to visit family and friends, we are in trouble.

As far as being given the chance to reapply, my husband worked with several people who were here on visas/green cards (I am not sure which). They are tax paying, loyal and very productive citizens to the United States who just happen to be from another country. They had to go to other states in order to have their papers renewed because the process is full of ridiculous red tape. I agree that they should be given the chance; however, in creating the red tape, we create a good portion of the problem.

Can you post a link as to why the 800 people should not be here please?

2. bees_knees_6 says:

sorry first sentence stopped short…..when he left, he was questioned extensively upon his return.

4. kek says:

Stopping these attacks can be done in one month. Stop Islam immigration, close all mosques and and deport. Islam does not share western values and never will; they don’t assimilate and don’t belong in western societies. Once they are on your soil it’s too late. No American should have to put up with terrorists or the liberals that makes excuses and appeasements after every attack.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

In other words, go against every constitutional value this country stands for.

As far as Liberals who make excuses, please look into how the Founding Fathers addressed Muslims.

Your “plan” would put targets on the backs of every American. Please remember that many Americans work privately overseas.

Next….

1. kek says:

The Constitution does not delegate to the federal government power over immigration. Leaders are expected to exercise common sense to protect the American public despite your salty tears.

2. mstarvin says:

“It is curious to me why only one amendment to the Constitution of the United States matters to far too many on the right. ”

That is the problem with liberals….they have no concept that without the second the rest are moot…. History has shown this to be beyond any shadow of doubt many times over.

3. Concerned American says:

“It is curious to me why only one amendment to the Constitution of the United States matters to far too many on the right.”

While you’re wrong on that (as usual), that is still one more amendment than the number of amendments that matter to folks like yourself on the left.

4. bees_knees_6 says:

CA – your candidate is currently recommending doing away with Due Process. That is a fact. He wants to isolate people by religious beliefs. I understand you do not like Obama and that is fine. I’m not thrilled with him in a lot of instances either. However, the right spins a lot of lies with regard to his going against the constitution. Not all but the majority. However, Trump is attacking the very core of this country. You can believe what you choose as can I.

Also, and as you know, had Romney not caved to the ultra right (yes, your tea party which seems quite quiet as of late), he would have had my vote. I suspect he would have made an good president but he had no backbone. I am pleased that he is one of the Republicans who will not endorse Trump along with the Bush’s whom I did vote for with one exception.

5. Concerned American says:

As usual, you start out wrong on the facts by referring to Trump as “my candidate”, but we’ve long established that facts don’t matter to you.

As for how the right feels about Donald, I would invite you to broaden your horizons (it’s not hard, believe me – I deal with lots of liberal propaganda every day and have lived to tell about it) and check out some conservative media instead of the liberal brainwashing you subject yourself to every day. I won’t hold my breath on that one.

6. bees_knees_6 says:

I did see that after I posted CA but was sure you would correct me and I stand corrected.

Now, your turn. I do not subscribe to either liberal or conservative “propoganda” as you claim. Your mistake but then you know that as I have repeated that fact multiple times. Perhaps your problem is that you do. Unlike you, I vote country to the best of my ability. I do not vote party. Sound familiar – it should. If I am wrong and you have voted for democrats in the not so distant future, please do let me know who and when and I will happily apologize.

7. Concerned American says:

“I do not subscribe to either liberal or conservative “propoganda” as you claim. Your mistake but then you know that as I have repeated that fact multiple times.”

Your denial (as your comments show quite clearly how much you buy into liberal propaganda given how much you repeat leftist canards) and apparent belief that if you repeat a lie enough times it ceases to be a lie are not “my mistake,” but carry on.

“If I am wrong and you have voted for democrats in the not so distant future, please do let me know who and when and I will happily apologize.”

How can someone “have voted” for anyone in the not-so-distant future?

Since you admit to voting for Democrats, your claim to “vote country to the best of your ability” is verifiably false.

8. The Owl says:

Isn’t Jon, by his remarks, implying a degree of vigilantism when he suggests that people need to be vigilant and report suspicious activities?

Is he not opening up those who ARE vigilant, and who make a reasoned, but ultimately incorrect reports to authorities, to civil rights law suits or accusations of racial/ethnic profiling?

Where is your constitutional outrage over that?

The solution to this problem is not going to be easy. It just may require some adjustment to our constitutional thinking to resolve.

We must always keep in mind that as precious are the liberties granted us by it, our Constitution is NOT a suicide pact.

2. paul dowd says:

kek, have you ever read the constitution? Have you ever read the bill of rights?

1. bees_knees_6 says:

My guess is that folks proposing the idea you replied to have the second amendment down pat. It is extremely difficult for me to understand how anyone supports an individual who calls for whittling away at our constitution on a regular basis and who has complete disregard for its process and with our country’s foundation.

That said, I am not as secure in Clinton as you are. I am, however, terrified of what Trump will do to this country. Authoritarian rulers do not support individual freedoms which he has demonstrated repeatedly.

2. Concerned American says:

“It is extremely difficult for me to understand how anyone supports an individual who calls for whittling away at our constitution on a regular basis and who has complete disregard for its process and with our country’s foundation.”

…says a person who voted twice for Barack Obama.

3. kek says:

There is no amendment or article or bill of rights dealing with immigration and terrorism. The first American leader to successfully understand and deal decisively with Islamic terrorists was Thomas Jefferson. You and our so called leaders are too busy being a parrots for idiots to know that. #nationalism will save you #globalism and PC will kill you.

4. bees_knees_6 says:

kak- are you referring to the Thomas Jefferson who said….”“The present desire of America is to produce rapid population by as great importations of foreigners as possible.” or a different T. Jefferson. Or perhaps you missed …”“life, liberty, and property” for “any person.” I’m not noticing it says for any citizen. Madison …..“This freedom arises from that multiplicity of sects which pervades America.” He repeated this is Federalist 10. Guess no one explained to them what PC meant…..or perhaps they knew the true definition is racism.

5. paul dowd says:

One candidate is selling ice cream and candy. Eat a little and all of your problems and all of our country’s problems will magically disappear. The other candidate is selling health food. It doesn’t taste very good and it takes a long time to solve any problems. So take your pick. I’m with her.

1. Bengals2 says:

If you expose the hidden chemicals in that “health food”, you end up dead, somehow. You can go with her.

2. mstarvin says:

LOL health food?? She is packaging up bull dung, throwing an ORGANIC label on it and fools like you are gobbling it up!!

1. paul dowd says:

Don’t forget to wash down all that yummy ice cream and candy with some genuine Trump kool-aid. He has a surplus left over from when he had to close down the “university”.

2. mstarvin says:

I would rather have candy and kool-aid than eat a bag full of of dung…but hey I know liberals are strange beings….knock yourself out..

6. Ollie says:

Bees- Perhaps I missed the answer to your earlier question regarding some 800 who were granted citizenship. If not, here’s a reference you can go to.

From the AP 9/20/16: The U.S. government has mistakenly granted citizenship to at least 858 immigrants from countries of concern to national security or with high rates of immigration fraud who had pending deportation orders, according to an internal Homeland Security audit released Monday.

I’m a bit surprised that you were not aware of this event. Could it be that our friends at NPR have somehow neglected to include it either in their news summary or various interviews? Maybe Jon will address this Obama administration screw-up tomorrow morning since he somehow missed it today.

7. guest says:

Too bad the fat POS wasn’t killed by police in the shoot out.