At 35th Anniversary Of South Boston Vietnam Memorial, Remembering Those Lost

SOUTH BOSTON (CBS) —┬áThirty-five years after the South Boston Vietnam memorial–thought to be the first in the country–went up, those lost are still being honored.

On Sunday morning, a single bugler played taps and a little girl saluted, along with all the soldiers present. It was all part of a ceremony held to remember the lost.

Gov. Charlie Baker and former Boston mayor Ray Flynn were in attendance.

Also in attendance was Jim, a Marine. He was in Vietnam when he learned his best friend had been killed.

“Donnie Turner … When I was over there, we got news that he got hit,” he said. “He just got to country, too.”

A lone bagpiper played his lament as veterans, like Bill, remembered their friends–whose names are now carved in granite.

“Every time I ride by here, I think of one person, Doug Itree,” said Bill. “He was also a Dorchester guy.”

“I think the younger generation doesn’t really know what this is all about,” he added. “The war we had that lasted for ten years, the 50,000 people that we lost. It’s too bad.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Karyn Regal reports

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

WheelMobile
Download Our App

Listen Live