Keller @ Large: Curb Your Smartphone Enthusiasm

BOSTON (CBS) – If you see a bigger-than-normal crowd on Boylston Street in Copley Square Friday morning, it’s because the newest iPhone model is going on sale. And as always, our gadget-obsessed society is on high alert to get down on the latest smartphone wrinkle. And after reading and thinking about the iPhone 7,

I have some good news for you – and some bad news.

The line outside the Apple store on Boylston Street Friday. (WBZ-TV)

The line outside the Apple store on Boylston Street Friday. (WBZ-TV)

The good news, according to the reviews, is that the new phone has longer battery life, works faster than older models, has a better camera inside, and get this – you can allegedly even use it in the shower without destroying it. In other words, the iPhone 7 gives you more than that iPhone 6 you thought was the be-all and end-all. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

But the bad news comes in the form of a question – in this case, is more really better?

Apple's iPhone 7. (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

Apple’s iPhone 7. (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

Smartphones are swamping our culture. Four years ago, 35-percent of U.S. adults owned one; that number has almost doubled since then. And as you know, the invasion is raising plenty of questions.

Is the fascination with smartphones interfering with human relationships? Are we becoming more isolated from one another, losing the ability to converse in person, physically endangering one another by driving, biking and walking with noses buried in our phones?

Apply these questions to the four-in-ten teenagers who have smartphones and the concerns multiply. And now even the shower is no longer a smartphone-free zone?

Don’t get me wrong, I like my smartphone just fine. But our craving for the things ought to come with a warning – be careful what you wish for.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Perhaps, just perhaps, we should stop worrying about what others do and criticizing them for it. Technology has good and bad. If folks enjoy the newest technology, I see no harm. If folks are happy with older tech, I see no harm. If folks are not techy, I see no harm.

If tech for teens has made them one of the generations most aware of events in and out of this country, what is the downside?

2. The Owl says:

Hear, hear, Bees.

I do find it interesting that those who are amongst the first to adopt the latest “great” smartphone at considerable cost to themselves are often the ones who eagerly champion wealth transfer scheme that takes others’ money and passes it along, frequently to people who have far more than they can ever use in a hundred lifetimes.

Now, if Verizon or AT&T want to continue to exchange my old phone for a new one for only a miniscule transaction fee, I will be more than willing to accommodate them in their folly.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

It truly is not anyone’s business but then for some reason there are those who think it is. I keep my phones well past the time I can renew. I continue to have an unlimited data because I am grandfathered in and no matter how hard ATT tries, they have yet to be able to shake it.

As an aside, the only reason I purchased the not so new phone I now have was that the old one went through the laundry in the pouch of my sweatshirt and then through two more loads until I discovered where it was in the washer. I did try the rice thing. I’m not a patient person so admit to calling the phone several times while it sat in the bag of rice to see if it worked. It didn’t :(

What many fail to see is that the younger generation and some of the older no longer have land lines. Once I retire and do not need a line for conference calls, I will undoubtedly depart with my landline also.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

With regard to how people spend money. Really? You are so aware of their finances and their spending habits on every item in their life that you can critique what they spend on one item? Curious. Is your answer for anyone who believes income inequality exists to stop spending? Wonder what that would do to the economy.

3. Chris Christie's Belt says:

How many people will develop neck problems from constantly looking down at their phones, like a reverse “electrician’s neck”? What about vision problems from looking at a screen most of their waking life?

4. anis says:

but the smartphone was broken scratched broke berperuh also to our activities. old or new smartphone should be insured if it is to have a long enough period for the insurance to assist you in financial grateful to you for sharing us this information.For more information, please visit displayverzekering.nl