Tenant Admits Smoking Sparked Weymouth House Fire

WEYMOUTH (CBS) – Weymouth firefighters responded to a fast moving fire at a two-family home on East Street Thursday evening.

The homeowners said the tenant admitted that smoking in the first floor bedroom started the fire.

Marilyn Flynn said she was cooking dinner when her tenant, who is also a family friend, ran over in a panic. The tenant said there was a fire and she couldn’t put it out.

“When we ran to the back door into the kitchen. The smoke was just very, very heavy coming towards us and we got out and I said, ‘I need to call 911 right away,'” said Flynn.

The apartment is a total loss, as is the Flynn’s computer room.

The Flynns bought the home 20 years ago. Most of the home now has water damage.

“A little devastating,” said Flynn. “I guess I am in a little bit of denial right now. I can’t believe this is happening.”

Her daughter rushed over to comfort her. “She called hysterical and said my house is burnt to the ground,” said Jill Bjorkman. “I sped over like a maniac.”

Bjorkman was glad everyone was OK. “I was able to hug her and make sure she was OK,” said Bjorkman.

Firefighters estimate the damage between $150,000 and $200,000.

To add insult to injury, Mr. Flynn was side-swiped as he drove over to check out the damage late Thursday night.

More from Katie Brace
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

WheelMobile
Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live