Keller @ Large: Candidates’ Health Is Our Business

BOSTON (CBS) – First, some full disclosure. According to my personal physician, I am in good health. Or as Donald Trump’s doctor might put it, in the most fantastic health any commentator has ever been in! Ok, my knee acts up once in a while, and my hang-time on the basketball court isn’t what it once was but… what’s that? Too much information? Ok, I agree.

But the point is, I am not running for president, fortunately for America. Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are. If there are issues with their health, I think most voters would like to know about it before they make their choice.

Why is it any of our business?

First of all, because we’ve been misled about presidential candidate health too many times in the past. The impact of polio on Franklin Delano Roosevelt was carefully hidden from the public, as was John F. Kennedy’s Addison’s disease. The late Senator Paul Tsongas assured us he had been cured of cancer; we later learned that he would almost certainly not have lived out his term if elected.

Health issues can affect a president’s capacity to do the world’s most stressful job. And it can heighten the importance of the vice-presidential nominee. Surely these are factors voters are entitled to consider. You could be legally liable if you provided phony details of your health on an insurance form. And if someone will lie to you about something as important as this, what won’t they lie to you about?

Hillary Clinton should not have tried to hide her pneumonia from the public. Donald Trump’s one-page testimonials from his gastroenterologist are an insult to voter intelligence. If these two wonder why they are so distrusted, they might want to look in a mirror.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Doc Welby says:

“Donald Trump’s one-page testimonials from his gastroenterologist are an insult to voter intelligence ”

That letter was clearly written by Trump or someone on his staff. No doctor of any competence would state the blatantly unsupportable conclusion that Trump would “unequivocally be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency”.

Actually Trump sounds like somewhat of a walking disaster: severely overweight to the point of technically being “obese”, high cholesterol, and, based on his weight and almost constantly flushed face, I’d bet that his blood pressure is off the charts.

Trump says he will release his medical records. He also said that he would release his tax records. (how is that going?)

And if Trump is so healthy, why was he unfit for military service? Trump has clearly learned a lesson from what daddy did for him those many years ago – pay a doctor to sign a letter.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

I disagree, Jon. If there is a major health problem, then we should know. If it is a cold that then results in pneumonia, there is absolutely no reason for us to know anything. Certainly, pneumonia is not something that will impact a presidency. We are all allowed to be human, including the president. We have had men pass out in the past and no one has raised such a fuss.

Get over it and let’s stop play as if we all have our medical degrees.

However, that said, now that Clinton has released her medical records which she did not have to do….how about the tax records from Trump.

3. mstarvin says:

Hillary’s health is really not our business. What is our business is her lying about it. She should have stated that it was not the public’s business however honesty is not something she can comprehend. Just know this, which most should unless they are ignorant, when you vote for the President watch carefully who they pick as a running mate because that person could become the President at any moment. For me the only concern regarding her health is her constant lying. If she feels compelled to lie about a cold imagine what she would do when she is in power… Oh wait we know what she would do…lie about email servers and what really happened in Benghazi that got people killed.

4. bees_knees_6 says:

I disagree that Clinton needs to disclose a cold. I do agree that I have issues with her telling the truth. However, you do not seem to have issues with Trump who tells the truth far less than Clinton. Just to be sure you understand, I do not think even one untruth is acceptable. I simply understand that both and not just one has a problem with honesty.

See Politifact: Comparing Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump on the Truth-O-Meter

There was also a very interesting article in the NYTs today. The emperor indeed does not have any clothes.

See NYT: Trump’s ‘Deplorable’ Deflections

1. mstarvin says:

You crack me up. When you get your “facts” from Politifact and the NYT you are clearly stating that you have zero interest in any facts. The facts are Hillary, who is currently in office, has lied to Congress, the FBI and the American people. Her lies got Americans killed in Benghazi and most likely elsewhere also. So Trump’s honesty concerns you but Hillary’s is not a problem?? ROFLOL!!!

1. Sy Clops says:

mstarvin: And yet you can cite no source for your “facts”?

In the interest of clarity, what lie did Hillary tell that “got Americans killed in Benghazi”?

2. bees_knees_6 says:

The lies are listed…..disprove them.

3. mstarvin says:

Gee I don’t know where do we start?? Perhaps her lie that the Ambassador never asked for more troops as his intel reports stated that an attack was eminent?? How about the lies she told Congress after the fact to cover up her responsibility and her famous line “What does it matter any ways??” The attack was provoked by a video….shall I gone on for you feeble minded morons?? It is not up to me to jump through your hoops bees…nice try though. I heard that there was a website that stated that you are ignorant and a criminal prove it wrong…..

2. bees_knees_6 says:

Sy Clops — if you recall the story of the Emperor with No Clothes, the adults who worshiped him could not see that he had no clothes (or would not admit it)…only the children knew because they were honest with themselves. The sources cannot be cited because they have none. If the ones listed above are not true, then they can easily be challenged………..or is it that Trump worshipers do not see that there are no clothes?

I’ll add before the moronic comment is yet again posted that I am a Clinton supporter. I am not in the Clinton camp but I am in the no Trump camp.

1. Sy Clops says:

Sorry bk_k, the new format doesn’t allow me to reply to mstarvin directly.

mstravin: You do know the difference between cause and effect don’t you? Again, I ask you, what lie did Hillary say *before* (a necessary condition for causality) Americans were killed.

And better yet. cite you source. I bet you can’t.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

An opinion without sources from a biased individual.

Another individual closer to Chris Stevens has a different and undoubtedly more accurate view.

3. mstarvin says:

OK we are going to play the relative card?? I will see your sister and raise one mother:

5. bees_knees_6 says:

Jon, if you do bother to read here, perhaps you would be interested in searching for the article below. The truth is, in fact, that Hillary put her country before her health. Women do that on a regular basis with family, work, life. Perhaps, it is a strange concept to men. Perhaps, not. However, any man who is involved with a woman….mom, sister, wife, etc…..should know this.

Search: Garrison Keillor Praises Hillary For Putting America Before Her Own Health

1. mstarvin says:

You are pathetic…yeah because men never put their family or country before their own health….what a moronic statement….. Hillary puts power ahead of her health never her country or another human.

2. bees_knees_6 says:

I know many man who do exactly that and was honored to be married to one. However, with the rhetoric from the mostly male right, it seems that not all will recognize or accept that trait in a woman. How many men in politics have passed out without the demand for health records from the right or the comments that they are unfit for public service or even worse diagnosing without any knowledge. Facts have no basis for you do they?

1. mstarvin says:

Your memory must be going….I guess you don’t remember the calls when Reagan became forgetful or when Bush Sr. threw up on the prime minister of Japan…..

6. jerry2286 says:

In other news, Dinosaurs still roam around the Amazon, and Unicorns exist. Hillary is a sick, elderly, dying, old woman. She is morally, and physically unable to perform the duties her bloodlust for power demand.

1. Sy Clops says:

Sorry, Jerry. You don’t even make a point coherently.