Propane Gas Leak Caused Blast That Killed Franklin Couple Last October

FRANKLIN, Mass. (AP) — A propane gas leak was the cause of an explosion at a condominium complex in Franklin that claimed the lives of a married couple last fall.

State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said in a statement Wednesday that Nancy and Richard Brown, both 66, were killed in the October 2015 blast.

Flames rip through a building under construction in Franklin. (Image Credit: @miniwarehousing/Twitter)

Flames rip through a building under construction in Franklin. (Image Credit: @miniwarehousing/Twitter)

Investigators say nothing indicating that any criminal or intentional act sparked the explosion was found.

Fire officials say the explosion occurred when an unknown source ignited gas that had leaked into the couple’s home. The propane may have possibly come from the Browns’ heating system or fireplace.

The couple had recently moved from Florida to Massachusetts to be closer to their grandchildren.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments

One Comment

  1. AristaTek Inc. recently released a technical brief catered to emergency responders and planners regarding the hazards of propane, LPG and natural gas. The brief contains a useful BLEVE chart for stand-off distances for various containers along with a ton of other useful information. The request is free and available by requesting it here – http://aristatek.com/TPLPG202.htm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

WheelMobile
Download Our App

Listen Live