BOSTON (CBS) – Three workers were hospitalized Friday following a release of chemicals on the 18th floor of a building in downtown Boston.
Firefighters were called to High Street just before noon for a hazmat situation involving water treatment equipment inside a 32-story office building.
A release of the chemical bromine forced a maintenance worker and two other employees to be brought to an area hospital. Their injuries are not considered life-threatening.
The room where the chemical release took place has a ventilation system that cleared some of the fumes, but it caused a smell on several floors.
As a result of the incident, the building was evacuated.
Hazmat technicians in protective suits entered the water treatment room with meters to check the air quality.