Firefighter Rescued, Dog Saved From Burning Saugus Home

SAUGUS (CBS) – There was a close call for firefighters at a home in Saugus Thursday morning.

Flames broke out in a two-story house on Water Street near the Cedar Glen Golf Course just after 10 a.m. and quickly reached the roof.

Firefighters went inside to make sure no one was home, but as they began to vent the house, the fire engulfed the front of the building.

Deputy Chief Mike Newbury said a mayday was called and all firefighters were ordered out.

One was nearly trapped on the second floor.

“(He) jumped out the front window and went onto the front porch.  Our ladder company put a ground ladder to the porch and we were able to get him down,” Newbury told WBZ-TV.

That firefighter and a colleague were taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Newbury said no one was home at the time of the fire.

Police shut off part of Water Street during the fire. (WBZ-TV)

Police shut off part of Water Street during the fire. (WBZ-TV)

When the homeowner returned she became distraught because her dog was still inside.

Revere firefighters used a scoop to rescue the dog, which was hiding under a bed.

It’s not clear yet how the fire started.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Opioid Crisis
Download Our App

Watch & Listen LIVE