NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect: Delay Trial Until 2015

View Comments
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev previously appearing in Boston federal court. (Sketch from Christine Cornell)

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev previously appearing in Boston federal court. (Sketch from Christine Cornell)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzohkhar Tsarnaev are asking to delay his trial until at least September 2015.

In a court filing Friday, the attorneys said his Nov. 3 trial date would give them about half the preparation time federal courts have allowed other defendants facing a death sentence over the past decade.

Tsarnaev is charged in the April 2013 attack that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others. He has pleaded not guilty to charges including terrorism.

The lawyers said they need more time to evaluate the “massive amount” of evidence, and to explore mitigating factors that could lesson his sentence if convicted.

The attorneys said at a hearing earlier this month they likely could not be ready for a November trial.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,046 other followers