Report: Castillo Obtains Work Visa, Eligible To Play For Red Sox
BOSTON (CBS) — Rusney Castillo, the Boston Red Sox’ new $72 million man, has taken a big step towards joining his new team.
The Cuban defector has secured a work visa from the U.S. government and is eligible to start playing in games, Juan Perez, the president and CEO of Roc Nation Sports, told ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes. Roc Nation Sports represents Castillo, who signed a seven-year, $72 million deal with Boston last week.
Castillo will continue to work out in Fort Myers, Florida on Thursday. There is a chance the center fielder could play for Boston’s Gulf Coast League team, which is schedule to play a one-game playoff game on Friday, and would move on to a best-of-three final round with a victory.
It’s unclear when Castillo will join the big-league Red Sox, and Perez said that decision will be up to Ben Cherington and the Boston brass.
“As soon as they feel he’s ready they’ll bring him up,” Perez told ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes. “They’ll work him out, see where he’s at. But Ben said at the press conference that they’ll call him up in September, and I trust Ben.”
The 27-year-old Castillo hit .324 in 2011 and .332 in 2012, his best two seasons in Cuba.
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON