FOXBORO (CBS) — Another couple of days of joint practices await the Patriots, as they prepare for preseason game number two on Friday night.
The Philadelphia Eagles will come to town for a pair of joint practices at Gillette Stadium on Tuesday and Wednesday. Both joint sessions will begin at 2 p.m., and are open to the public.
Here are some things to expect in camp this week:
– Rob Gronkowski will hopefully see some contact this week. He didn’t make the trip to Richmond last week but was back on the practice field on Sunday. In the upcoming joint sessions with the Eagles, the Pats can control the activity and that will be good for Gronk. He’ll have a chance to see where he is conditioning-wise and this will be a true test of his surgically repaired knee.
– Quarterback Ryan Mallett will have a lot to prove this week after his sub-par performance in the first preseason game. He was given Sunday off, but he needs to be better the rest of the week. Jimmy Garoppolo should not be able to step in and take his spot, and if Mallett continues to regress and the rookie continues to shine, Mallett might find himself let go by the end of camp.
– The Patriots’ first team will continue to get some looks. They will face an Eagles team that runs a up-tempo offense; something the Pats are used to because they do the same. It will still be good for them to grab some different looks.
-We’ll have to see if Tom Brady picks on corner Cary Williams this week, after Williams made some “Spygate” comments a couple of weeks ago.
– NFL officials will chat with the media on Tuesday about rule changes for the upcoming season.
– We’ll hear from Eagles head coach Chip Kelly before Wednesday’s practice, and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will talk after the session.
Follow Levan Reid on Twitter @LevanReid.
MORE PATRIOTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
- Patriots CB Cyrus Jones Says He Was ‘Afraid Of Tom Brady’ Growing Up As Ravens Fan
- Report: Danny Amendola Restructures Contract To Remain With Patriots
- Patriots Sign Six Draft Picks, While QB Jacoby Brissett Negotiates His Own Deal
- Zo & Bertrand: Could Jordan Reed Deal Affect Gronk?