BOSTON (CBS) — With the NFL preseason in full swing, 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh and Zo go “No Huddle” around the league and tackle some of the top stories on the field.
– Rob Gronkowski was back on the practice field on Sunday, but is still not taking contact. There is no set date for when he’ll start to take hits, and after listening to Gronk and Bill Belichick talk about the tight end’s recovery, Gresh, Zo and Hardy discuss at what point we should start getting concerned with Gronk not taking contact.
“If two weeks from today, after preseason games two and three, if he isn’t in, then the alarms go off,” said Gresh. “I think you have to get him into a game.”
“I’d say Wednesday of Week 1, because that is your big practice day,” said Zo.
– The Patriots released tight ends Justin Jones and Asa Watson, but signed three other tight ends including veteran Ben Hartsock on Sunday. What can we expect out of New England tight ends this season?
“They have Gronk, [Michael] Hoomanawanui and I think (fullback) [James] Develin will be the third guy and they’ll have a fourth guy as a blocker,” said Zo
“[Hartsock] was regarded as one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL, so that screams to me that they’ll bring in some tight ends so they can continue to run the ball with them on the field,” said Gresh. “I think, now, you have Develin as essentially part of the tight end group.”
Zolak thinks Develin could be a big part of the offense moving forward.
– Rex Ryan had fun with the media over the weekend, sending a reporter to the podium while Rex asked the questions. The trio listens to the audio, which gets a little silly.
– Johnny Football made his NFL debut on Saturday, and ESPN is reporting that he is ahead of Brian Hoyer on the Browns’ depth chart.
“I thought he popped, personally,” joked Hardy.
– Jadeveon Clowney debuted for the Houston Texans over the weekend, and Gresh & Zo share their first impressions of the top overall pick.
“Good lord, him and J.J. Watt,” said Gresh. “They could be the most disruptive defensive line that we’ve seen.”
Listen as Gresh, Zo and Hardy go “No Huddle” around the NFL:
MORE PATRIOTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON