Two People Injured Setting Off Fireworks In Pelham, NH
PELHAM, N.H. (CBS) – Two adults were injured, one severely, while setting fireworks off Friday night in Pelham.
The accident was the result of an explosion involving a consumer firework known as a “reloadable mortar,” according to Pelham Fire Chief James Midgley.
The chief said that these types of fireworks require users to be part of the final assembly before use, and if done incorrectly, they can cause significant injury or even death.
The severely injured person was taken to a local hospital and then transferred to Mass. General Hospital in Boston.
The names of the injured people and information on their injuries were not released.
New Hampshire State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan said people need to be extremely careful if they choose to use “permissible” consumer fireworks.
Degnan noted that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recently reported more than 11,000 injuries were caused by consumer fireworks in 2013. The majority of those injuries occurred during a 30-day period surrounding the Fourth of July.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON