Jones: Do The Red Sox Need An Everyday Third Baseman?
Boston Red Sox
Buy Red Sox Tickets
BOSTON (CBS) – It was a “Buy or Sell” Monday on The Adam Jones Show’s “Game of Jones.” Play along with Adam Jones and Rich Keefe on the following topics…
1. The NBA draft lottery is Tuesday night and the consensus top three prospects are Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Joel Embiid. Buy or Sell Australian point guard Dante Exum, 18, as the fourth best prospect.
“I buy it. I’ve been saying for awhile now that outside of that top three I think Exum is the next guy. He’s not as polished as those top three, but even they have question marks. There’s questions about Exum’s shot and if he can’t be a point guard what is he? But I like guys with upside and guys who can physically dominate their position. A 6’6″ point guard, assuming he can stick there, dominates that position,” said Jones.
“He’s one of the youngest picks in the draft too. He doesn’t turn 19 until July 13th. He’s so intriguing. He didn’t spend a year in college so we don’t have enough tape to pick apart his game. You could be passing on Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol. . . or [Nikoloz] Tskitishvili or some of these international guys.” said Rich Keefe.
2. The Miami Heat and Chicago Blackhawks won their respective league’s championships last year, and both are in a position to repeat this year. Buy or Sell the NBA and NHL having the same champions in back-to-back years.
“I buy that too. I find it real hard to pick against the Blackhawks right now. I know Miami is down right now to Indiana, but still I cannot pick against Miami,” said Jones.
3. Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks is on the disabled list for the second time this year. Brock Holt is a nice player, but certainly not a game changer in the corner infield. Prospect Garin Cecchini doesn’t appear ready to field the position in the major leagues. Buy or Sell the Red Sox need to acquire an everyday third baseman.
“I sell it. I like the idea of the youth movement. I’m not on board with Stephen Drew bringing him in to play shortstop or third base or whatever. I don’t want to give up on Xander Bogaerts at shortstop. I don’t want to create even more of an organizational logjam than there is for guys like Garin Cecchini, Deven Merrero or even Mookie Betts.
“I also don’t want to see Scott Boras and Stephen Drew win. So Drew is not the guy. I don’t want the Red Sox crawling back to him. If for some reason a stud becomes available I’d rethink it, but if it’s for Drew or a player of that ilk I’m not into it. I’m okay with the youth movement,” said Jones.
4. After a disappointing early round exit, the Bruins must now deal with some tough decisions this summer — one of them being unrestricted free agent Jarome Iginla. Buy or Sell Iginla back with the B’s in 2014-15.
“I buy it. I want him back next year and I know the Bruins value him. They tried to get him at the trade deadline last year, then he comes in and scores 30 goals for you this year. He was also your leading scorer in the postseason. We’ve gotten on him a little bit, and we’ve gotten on that line. But to me, I think the Bruins want him back. He should be back. I just hope they de-emphasize him a little bit. Put him on a line with Patrice Bergeron, or Loui Eriksson — not necessarily that top line. I think that’s where he fits in,” said Jones.
5. California Chrome, nasal strips and all, won both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness and needs just the Belmont Stakes to get the hard-to-get three-fer. Buy or Sell California Chrome winning the Triple Crown of horse racing.
“I sell it. We’ve seen how many since 1978 come close? The Belmont is a different race.”
Play along, leave us your answers in the comments section and listen below for the full discussion:
MORE RED SOX COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON