Generator Causes CO Emergency In Kingston Home

KINGSTON (CBS) – Five people were rushed to the hospital Thursday morning after a carbon monoxide emergency at a home in Kingston.

Investigators say a resident of the house on Bavarian Way called 911 around 6:40 a.m. saying a child had passed out and there was CO in the home.

Fire Chief Robert Heath told reporters carbon monoxide level readings were from 180 to 300 parts per million throughout the house.  30 parts per million is considered dangerous.

Firefighters aired out the home on Bavarian Way after the CO scare. (WBZ-TV)

Firefighters aired out the home on Bavarian Way after the CO scare. (WBZ-TV)

A 19-year-old woman was put on a MedFlight rescue helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where she’s in critical condition.

Four others, the 38-year-old mother and her three children, ages 19, 11 and 7,  were taken to South Shore Hospital for treatment.

Their names have not been released.

The source of the fumes came from a generator in the garage.

Heath said the utility company had cut power to the house recently because the homeowner had not paid the bill.

The generator had been vented properly, according to the chief, until Wednesday night when someone came home and closed all of the windows.

There were no working carbon monoxide detectors or smoke detectors in the home.

Read: Carbon Monoxide Safety

NSTAR confirmed to WBZ-TV that they do serve the town of Kingston, but out of respect for customers privacy, they do not discuss customer information.



  • Brigham And Women's Medical Scribes Help Doctors Focus On Patient Care - CBS Local | 1 800

    […] 6 People Sent To Hospital After CO Emergency In Kingston Home […]

  • Generator In Kingston Home Causes CO Emergency #Boston | The Newz

    […] Fire Chief Robert Heath told reporters carbon mono… CBS Boston […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live